Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OT: FORD 4-Speed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Mar 1, 2005.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Off topic I know, but I figure lots of you guys have knowledge on this stuff. I have always messed with older chevy's so I am not sure what it what when it comes to the Fords.
    My cousin picked up a 67 Mustang a few years ago which has an auto in it and 6 cylinder. Found a 67 Cougar recently with V8, 5 lug, etc. We are gonna throw the drivetrain/suspension from the cougar into his mustang. But the cougar only has a 3speed.

What are the 'good' 4 speeds and what are the ones to stay away from? Does he need the bellhousing/pressure plate, etc from the 4 speed...or are they the same between the 4 and 3 speed? Also what kind of $$ is he looking at?

And if anyone needs Cougar parts...this one is original owner and most everything is NICE. ALL MOULDINGS Are CHERRY.

Thanks!!

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Either a BW T10 or a top loader should bolt right up to a 3 speed manual housing.

Of the two the top loader is the better trans. It is stronger than the T10.
    If you have some extra cash you can also put in a T5 5 speed. But will need adapter plate and driveline yoke to install. Lots of people putting them in old Mustangs. Nice having OD for better fuel milage.
    If you have it all apart I would definatly install new clutch/pressure plate bearing ECT.
    Dont know what cost is. Check local wreking yards.

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks for the reply. What cars/years did the Top loader and T5 come in?

Also, by adapter plate...you mean between the bellhousing and block? Like you'd use when you put a caddy engine to a chevy tranny?

For the T5...you need the whole shebang right....bellhousing, plate, etc?