Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

other questions... suggestions needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Truckfan2, Sep 20, 2000.

1. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

I've got a Dana 44 3/4 ton front with 4.10's, a Corperate 14 bolt with 4.11's or 4.10's (I haven't had the cover off yet), worn 35x14x15 Ground Hawgs mounted on 15x10 wheels (not balanced yet), and a 6" lift with a 4" raised steering arm and 2" dropped drag link.

Problems-

#1- When in 4H on dry pavement (granted I know it's not supposed to be done, but sometimes that's where I end up unlocking the hubs after a trail run) the damned thing is soooo squirly and wants to go two different directions. Is .01 on the gearing going to do this?? or is it normal... I mean this thing won't go straight.
    #2- I've got an extended rear driveshaft... recently, the vibs are getting really bad (could be the unbalanced tyres but it was pretty good up until 60 mph before). Suggestions?
    #3- The steering wanders way too much. I've got new ball joints, tie rod ends, drag links, and brakes. I had it aligned (steering wheel centered) but I hit a NASTY hole and the steering wheel went way left and stayed... a week later, I hit the same hole and the steering wheel went way right and stayed... Right now it's 1/4 turn to the right and it wanders a little too much for my comfort (NOTE- I do not yet have a steering stabilizer on it, I'm looking for a dual that is horizontal for around $100, anybody know a really good one??)
    #4- The hub problem- see loose hub post
    #5- Oh yeah... has nothing to do with the lift... Engine has a wierd stumble/stall from stop or low RPM's around a turn and it sometimes quits... IT'S TBI

Anyway, just taking advantage of your time and thank you very much. I need as many suggestions that I can get so that I can make it to the next K5 run safely. Thanks

Pete

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00
    "(2H) Where's all the mud?.(4H)...(4L)..(4H)... oh crap"

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Rough country makes a dual horizontal steering stabilizer.
    Check drivesahft for missing balance wieghts. I would get the frontend aligned and the wheels balanced, to see if this hepls. Also check u-bolts for tightness. As far as the stumble/stalling may have a broken baffle in the gas tank. Could be a clogged fuel filter too.

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I can comment on two things:

1) The vibrations could be caused by worn U-joints. Try to twist your drivelines and see if there's any play in the U-joints. I replaced mine recently, all my vibrations are gone. I couldn't believe it.

2) I suggest you take your Blazer for alignment again. But if you just want to re-align your steering wheel to the wheel center, there is a sleeve that you can turn right below the steering gear box. You just loosen two bolts and turn that sleeve (like accelerating a motorcycle) until your steering wheel is in the right position.

Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

And use some kind of fastner on the bolts this time. They probably didnt get them tight enough after they re-aligned your steering wheel... Maybe you should check for some "damage" and take it back to them. At least they will let you have a free turn on theyre alignment machine for "all your troubles"....

Doubt if they can do much aligning with those worn out oversized tires though...

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

5. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

"Fasteners on the bolts"?? I don't have the stock draglink setup... its a dropped version (has an s-curve in it) but thanks. I'll check the u-bolts and re-torque everything. How long after a lift has been on shold all the bolts be re tightened?

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00
    "(2H) Where's all the mud?.(4H)...(4L)..(4H)... oh crap"

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The difference in gearing should not be noticable at all. When driving my Blazer on hard ground it also has a tendency to want to pull to one side or the other.
    The vibration could be worn u-joints, especially if it is slowly getting worse.
    For the looseness in the steering, make sure the frame behind the steering box isn't cracked or the mounting holes aren't wallowed out and letting the box move around. I'm also sure the worn Ground Hawgs don't help matters any.