Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ouch! Did I break something in front axle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Predator, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Predator

Predator 1/2 ton status

While wheeling yesterday in a river, I ran smooth into a tree stump at prob 10-15 mph. Stopped me cold and snapped the front tie rod. Well we took the rod into town and welded it back together. I wheeled a little more and did a sand drag race and called it a day. But when it was time to head home I unlocked the hubs and I noticed a gear grinding coming from the front end. It doesn't do it when the hub is locked, so I drove home locked. I pulled the hub today and didn't see anything abnormal. Do I need to pull the diff cover and look inside? Or any ideas?

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

You need to get a new tie rod, that could be a potential nightmare if the one you repaired came apart. Did the grinding come from the front end or the t case? When you stop that abruptly, alot of energy is transfered thru the truck. It could be either hub, a broken axle shaft, somethijg in the t case. Good Luck.

3. Predator

Predator 1/2 ton status

Re: Ouch! Did I break something in front axle?-->Stronger tie rod?

I think I found it. As I was looking under the truck to see if maybe I had bent something, I noticed both nuts off one side of the case crossmember were gone and the other side was holding it up! Yeah, I don't plan on driving until I get a new rod. Someone mentioned to me I could make one by getting some thick walled tube and welding nuts on the ends and would be stronger. Don't know if I have enough dough for a rockrod right now. Any thoughts on this idea or just go back with a factory (maybe a full lengthskid across frontaxle?).

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I dunno. I know when I bent mine we worked like HELL to get the bend out. Stock is pretty stout. It would be cheaper to buy some thicker stock. I can't remember if one the tie rod ends are reverse threads or not. I guess you could weld the old ones on. I think a new tie rod is around 70-80 from a parts house.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

By the way, hope thats a fix for you. I hate searching for broken stuff.