Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ouch, my finger!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 9, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Got in too big a hurry moving a 12 bolt axle out of the way. Set it down really fast and dropped it on my finger smashing my left hand middle finger between the 12 bolt housing and a 14 bolt housing on the floor. Couldnt feel it cause it was so cold at first, but now its throbbing and its turned red, then purple, now dark purple under my finger nail. OUCH!!! It hurts really bad now. Im a wuss when it comes to pain...

2. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Dude that sux! been there.

cure : get a needle red HOT and let it poke through the nail and itll squirt blood but relieve all the pressure /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. mountainexplorer

Yikes, I dont think I could do that /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

well it works and it does squirt too!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

tiny drillbit works better...do not chuck it in a drill though./forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif rotate it back and forth between two fingers until a small hole releases the pressure.

Rene

6. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

itll stop the THROBBING and you wont even feel it, its non feeling, its a nail /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif or use Rene's idea /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I had to drill mine when I slammed my finger in a car door on a date. It does help very much. Then my fingernail fell off. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I second the drill bit. If you sharpen the bit with a lot more angle than it would usually have, it doesn't take hardly any pressure to scrape through. A buddy of mine used a cordless drill, but it didn't stop when he got through the nail. I guess it did release the pressure though! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ....when I slammed my finger in a car door on a date. It does help very much

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not resist this one....How did slamming your finger in the door help you out on the date?????? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Use a bit between your fingers. After I smashed mineone time really bad my frineds dad told me a storry about using a drill and went through the nail then the person felt it and flinched and pulled on their foot (toe-nail smashed) and caused the drill to go even deeper right into the toe.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had a first aid guy lance a fingernail for me using a hot needle. He was paranoid about getting the needle too hot...so it was barely hot enough to do the job. He was pushing pretty hard on the needle and when it went through it drove down into the nail bed... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The tiny drill bit between your fingers is much less gruesome.

Rene

12. Frankenstien

Frankenstien 1/2 ton status

been there dropped a guinness keg (205lbs) on my finger but i wimped out and went to the doc, hot needle thru the finger nail,bloody mess but i felt waaaaaaay better!

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah i've done the needle thing it's not bad.

14. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well, although it makes you look like a complete idiot /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif you may get the sympathy attention, which if used correctly leads to other more enjoyable activities! They may involve "slamming" of sorts as well! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

I went to the hospital one time with what I thought was a broke thumb
    [large concrete weight feel off tractor disc and on my thumb that was resting on a metal frame]
    Anyhow thumb not broke but they brought out a small electric drill that looked like a small inline screwdriver to drill the nail,I was scared too,I thought it would hurt,I never felt the drill,only felt the release of preasure.

Lost the nail, the flesh at the base of the nail,and all the skin cracked and peeled from the swelling.All growed back fine though.

Next time I will do it myself and save the money.

16. joker89blazer

hmmmmmm.I do wonder how bad a date could be that smashing your finger to get out of it is considered "it helps" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

An Exacto knife works to. Just use it like you would a drill bit.

18. mountainexplorer

How long (on average) for a fingernail to grow back?

19. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I use small machine drills to do it w/ the little drill holder thing now, but a drywall screw has done the trick for me in the past. Just keep twisting andit goes thru. A guy I work w/ decided to use the drill press one time to do it. As I was saying DONT, it grabbed the nail and pulled the bit into his finger. It didnt go in very deep and I couldnt help but laugh at the look on his face.

The nail will grow back in a few months.

20. joker89blazer

I can't remember how long it took mine.

You will want to protect the nail bed with tape and some sort of covering THAT DOES NOT STICK until nail grows back.

I think healing time would be alot differant for differant peolpe.If your hair and nails grow quick it will grow back quickly.

I ate lots of gelatine[jello] to help it grow.
    It seems like the nail is not growing at all until the nail bed heals and then it grows at the normal speed that you have to cut your other nails.

I seem to heal pretty quick,nails and hair grow fast,it's a great blessing for a clumsy fool like me.