Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ouch my tail leaks. Transfer case leak that is. HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sinchphoto, Oct 14, 2002.

1. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

np208, the tail end seems to be leaking right about where it connects to the rest of the t-case. Seems like the gasket is torn. Where can I get this gasket and how do i replace is. Just remove the tail and pop in new gasket? Do I need to silicone this? thanks /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

don't bother with a gasket...use rtv. i just used super black. pull the shaft out, take the four bolts off the back snout and slide that off. nows a great time to upgrade your speedo gears since they are both right there. clean both surfaces really good and put a good 1/8" bead around the snout and slap it back on. did this about a month ago and no more leaks for me.

3. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

sounds easy enoght. ill check it out. know of anyweb sites that shows about transfer cases and gear corrections? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. txbluethunder

go here. i've found that the gears that go in the tranny are usually the same number of teeth as the ones that go in the t-case(not the same gears though).

5. wedgeindy

wedgeindy Registered Member

Do you know if the part of the Xfer case that houses the speedo gears can also be pulled off without problems? I've got a leak where the case that houses the speedo gears connects to the back main half of the xfer case. I wanted to pull off both sections, but I'm afraid to do so in the event that stuff (needle bearings???) start to fall out of the xfer case.

T.

6. txbluethunder

i didn't have any bearings falling out of mine. they are enclosed bearings on the end of the snout. and the actual piece that the cable plugs into just pulls right out with no issues.