Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OUCH! UPDATE! Got the tranny out tonite.....Not a pretty site.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pure Insanity, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I dropped the pan to drain it down before taking it out to take to the rebuilder. The fluid was a burgandy metallic, not burned, but not real good color, and the metallic speaks for itself. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

When I poured the fluid out of the pan to see what was at the bottom there was a decent amount of crap at the bottom, and a pile of rather large shiney bits of shrapnel. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Nothing bigger than a pencil lead, maybe 3mm in diameter. Bearing, Sprag, somethin that has a cage around it.

Looking closely I could see a shape to some of the metal bits so it was DEFINATELY a mechanical failure of some form. When I turn the output shaft back and forth I can hear almost a clanking sound. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Now its time to see if hell warrantee it or not. I hope so cuz I got somethin REAL MAJOR going on I cant talk about yet, /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif but it involves me HAVEING to get PI trail ready again. And FAST!

I cant post WHAT it is till it happens but were talkin MEGA COOL! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

Re: Got the tranny out tonite.....Not a pretty site.

you should of seen my fluid after I pulled it out of the truck hahahaha!! it was almost black,and smelled horrible!
    I think I'll be replacing mine soon once agian,but this time I'm just going to get it rebuilt instead of buying half ass junk from the salvage yard /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

My tranny fluid was pitch black and about 1/4" of metallic crap covering the botom of the pan, looked like led, and some sharp crap. I changed the fluid and drove it for about a month before it finally went out.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i hope they warranty it for you /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Now its time to see if hell warrantee it or not. I hope so cuz I got somethin REAL MAJOR going on I cant talk about yet, but it involves me HAVEING to get PI trail ready again. And FAST!

[/ QUOTE ]
    so how long till you can tell us???????????????? we want to know

5. Pure Insanity

All I can say at this point is think Petersens...... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

and in a few weeks. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I can say very little, but the cat is getting out of the bag, so a LITTLE somethin to my buds on CK5 wont hurt. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like the sprag. That's what I found in mine. Your going to need the Sprag, Foward drive drum to fix it. Good news is as long as the filter did it's job and didn't siculate the metal it's an easy repair and only requires the first drum into the case to be removed.
    Let me guess how it shifted. 1's then some like 2.5 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Without the sprag the drm can spin the wrong direction and you get something between 2nd and thrid.
    There is a beefed sprag available that runs stronger springs. What happend is one of the rollers cocked sideways and broke the cage. Whne Mine did that I hit a local tranny shop and got a used drum and sprag and a bump because my stator shaft splines were trashed as well. guy charged me $70 for the parts.
    That's a right foot problem I'm told. Usualy when right foot is down and you go from reveres to drive while under throttle.

7. Pure Insanity

I have no 1st gear or second. I can feel it go in to gear but it wont move. Used to be, when I dropped into D it would give ya a decent hit, now its like a lite nudge and it wont move. If I drop it to 1st it will take off and I can manually shift it thru the gears. It dont like it but it WILL go that way.

I have never dropped it in D when tached up or did the reverse drive rocking thing. Ive never needed to get in reverse when playing actually.

I can HONESTLY say that if I were to claim I have BEAT on that tranny for more than 1/2 mile total, Id be lying. I just got it good and trail ready in Nov. and really havent done anything w/ it cept 2 little trips in the mud and Rebel Run. RR trails were easy enuff to have been run in my car. (we didnt know where we were going, or where the good trails were. NOW we do, so RR 03 will be better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

8. Pure Insanity

Well its at the tranny shop. From what I described to the guy he said its a sprag. Most likely destroyed the drum too. I havent heard from him yet to get a full carnage report, but Ill post it so others have a reference if something similar happens.

Now its a waiting game to see when I get it back.....

9. Pure Insanity

He got it apart today and called me for the carnage report....

The tranny is shattered internally from front to back. Planetaries are shattered, Drum is broken in 2 pieces, ETC. He said he hasnt seen that much damage in drag car trannys.

He has NO idea what happened, what caused it or otherwise. Its just a mess. So I need to get him another tranny I have to part out to make mine go again. I hate to part out this tranny since its a complete trans, but its either this or buy all the parts I need.

I called the guy Im getting the 350/205 combo from to see if he had a 400/205 set I could get. Says he has a few but dont want to part w/ them. Talkin like $800 to get a set that would need the trans rebuilt. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The 350/205 Im getting came out of his 1ton Jeep w/ 44s and a 427. But installing that set is down the road.