Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Our Camaro Fleet

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by 4by4bygod, May 22, 2005.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Hi All!

Found these pics on our Camaro club's website. Thought I'd share them.

My 69 - was a straight 6 car, now has a 327/TH350 and a 3:73 posi. I changed everything but the roof. Finished it about 9 years ago.

[​IMG]

My wife Lisa's 79. stock 350, and needs some bodywork. Suspension is new, we just lowered it, and tied the frame. She had it painted viper blue back in 97.

[​IMG]

My Dad's 68 - the reason I got into cars to begin with. he bought it new, and this is it's 3rd and final makeover. 327 4 speed car. w/posi.

[​IMG]

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Nice looking fleet you've got there :thumb:

The 69 was the best one produced in my opinion

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Thanks!

I like the 67 - 69 best to drive, as I can see out the back window. I also think the 69's look like they're going 100mph sitting still. I would like to have a 68 RS/SS with the flip door headlights though, that would be cool.

The 2000 - 2002 LS1 cars are quick though, I can't argue with the power they make.

Tom

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

My very first car was my moms old 69 SS 396. Had it for about 3 years until it got stolen and was never fully recovered. Chop shop thought they needed it more than me :mad:

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Bastards.. I hate theives.

I lost my first car, also a 69, to an accident. I was leaving school, on my way to work, when I got rear ended by a kid that I knew.. he would always drive up fast on people, then swerve around them. I was waiting for traffic to clear so I could turn left, I saw him in my mirror, and traffic was such that I couldn't do anything but hold on.

He hit the rear drivers corner of the car, right on the tailight. crushed the quarter, buckled the roof, and messed up the door pretty good. Only consolation was, I still drove home, he went home on a flatbed. ( it was his moms Dart swinger).

I fixed it so the door would at least open. ( a come along and a tree are wonderful things), and I drove it for about another year, until the tranny gave out. By this time, I had my first truck. ( 77 gmc longbed, straight 6 - 3 on the floor) so I just parked the camaro.

After awhile, my mom was bitching so much about the car being in the yard we had to do something, as my dad didn't have thie time to work on it, and I had no idea what I was doing yet.

We stripped everything we could get off of it, and I kept the 327 too. We couldn't find anyone that wanted a shell, so we just cut it up with a torch, and scrapped it. I hate the fact that I didn't save the firewall / cowl, or the front subframe, as they were very clean. As a matter of fact, If I knew what a backhalf was, I would have saved the car that way.

ANYWAY, fast forward a couple of years, and I ended up with another 69, this one with a straight 6, also a rusty POS. ( both 69's came from my neighbor, who's adult kids left them parked in the street after they moved away. we got them both for about 200 bucks each. my dad used em as work cars, and since I was the only kid in the family who knew what they were, I was given the V8 car when I turned 16, and I was about 21 went I got the six banger). I finally got serious about making the 6 banger car into what you see in the picture.

I had the 327 rebuilt first, then I went nuts and had the frame & floors done, found some doors and quarters, and did all of the paint and final bodywork in the garage. the interior was perfect, thank god, so that didn't cost me anything. most expensive was having the firewall replaced, and the floorpans under the backseat were made by hand. this was done just before you could get everything out of a catalog. Also used rear framerails from S & W racecars, an tied the frame.

It's not fast in the quarter. It's best time was a mid 14. all of it's power comes in over 3,000 rpm, so when I'm on the freeway and rolling, I've got plenty of pedal left.. she'll turn 4 grand all day long, and the furthest I've taken it is a 6 hour one way trip to woodstock ontario for a big show there.

I did have it dyno'ed, at it turned 247 hp at the rear wheels, max torque was 257 at about 3500 rpm.

Anyway, sorry for the length. thanks for the discussion.

T

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

My dream car is a '69, i will own one some day!!
    Mark Stielow(i think thats how you spell his name) Has built some bad arse camaro's his last one that i followed was called the mule, man that thing was wicked, use a front race subframe, fully adj. sus. ill use that, along with eaither the new ZL1 427 crate motor, or a 427 SB from motown,tremec 6 speed from a late model camaro, rear 12 bolt with posi or a detroit, I want mine to be the best of both worlds,
    Ill be shooting for a sub 13 quarter, and i'd like to hit .95G on the skidpad.
    a cupple or mars car's:
    [​IMG]
    the mule, he mini tubbed the rear to fit those huge meats, i think it looks wicked!!:
    [​IMG]

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Hi Dale!

Mark's cars are good ones to emulate. He used to live nearby in Akron Ohio when he worked for Summit racing, and a good friend of mine got to meet him a few times..always saw his cars being "tested" on the country roads of Medina OH. Mark is a genius, no doubt about that. Ever see Marc Gottlieb's BIG RED Camaro? it was in all of the magazines a few months ago, and it first hit the scene in the early 90's.. it was built for the silver state challenge in NV, and it got the ball rolling on the whole pro touring thing. When I re do my car, I'll probably lower it, and add a rear sway bar kit.. did that to my wife's 79, and man what a diff in the corners.

Tom

8. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

I'm a first genner as well, personally nothing works for me but 67 although 8s and 9s are sweet... something about the first year does it for me.

I totaled my first 67, a RS/SS 396 convertable (stupid stupid stupid kid, I slap myself to this day for screwing that car up)

After that heartbreak I bought a 67 'bird convertable with and OHC 6 in her with a 4 speed, she was lovely but I sold her (what was I thinking, DoH!)

Currently have a "Jane" 67 that I converted from a straight 6/3 on the tree to a 350/Super T10... managed to get some paint on her and she sits more than drives these dyas, needs complete brake overhaul, prolly going disks this time around... drums can scare the crap outta a fella.

Anyways, heres a link to some of the work that was done, been this way for about 10 years, might be time to throw some more money at her:
    http://www.tuffdogstudio.com/todd/auto.html

9. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Cool Pics! I like a white Camaro. Discs are a good idea. I like the master power kits. We put 'em on my dads 68, and his chevelle. When I did mine, no one made kits yet so I had to go boneyard scrounging.

If you didn't know, all of the front brake and suspension / steering parts from a 68 -74 Nova will work on a first gen. Buying '74 nova parts is cheaper than buying anything meant for a camaro.

As a matter of fact, PM me if you plan to ever go boneyard shopping for your camaro.. I have a book that has all of the hollander interchange numbers, referencing ALL gm parts that will work on a first gen camaro.

Tom

10. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

Yeah white is a favorite for me as well, next round of body work/metal fabbibg she'll get a real paint makeover, but that might be a few years, need to build a garage so my newborn son and I can work on her together when he's older :)

Figure for now I'll mainly stockpile parts and keep an eye open for donor sheet metal, ohh and of course go for drives :)

Old Nova parts are pretty much non-existant out here anymore and forget about seeing a first gen in a yard. Thanx for the offer on the parts exchange info, I"ll keep you in mind if I manage to find something in a yard that might have parts.

11. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I love first gen 'maros. You guys have some sweet cars! Someday I will own one too :)

In the mean time, I have my T-topped, LS1 powered, 6 speed 4th gen to play with on the weekends.
    [​IMG]

12. wildcatkit52

wildcatkit52 Registered Member

Any of you Camaro guys on FBody.com?

13. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Not me.. some of the guys in my club are though. I have more fun here.

Tom

14. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Very nice!

15. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I'm a member at Camaro Z28.com and LS2.com but LS2 is a 24/7 frat party and I just havn't been to cz28 in about a year.

-Mike

16. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

Another Camaro fan checking in here.

Here's a couple of pics of my 81.
    Runs 10.30's @ 130 on street tires and with mufflers.
    Weighs 3600 lbs with me in it.
    All throttle, no bottle.

Picture 063.jpg

Picture 065.jpg

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I miss my 73 Camaro. Love the 70 to 73 body. I for one, can't leave them stock with so many aftermarket preformance products for them.

18. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Awesome! what size motor & what gears?

19. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

Thanks.

The engine is a 477 cube BBC (.100" over 454)
    13 to 1 compression
    Rec port Merlin heads
    .710" Comp Roller cam

TH400 trans
    8" 4800 stall converter
    Manual valve body

12 Bolt rear
    4.10 gears.