Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Our rental house caught on fire

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Apr 13, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

http://www.khq.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=752801&h1=Two%20pets%20die%20in%20house%20fire%20in%20north%20Spokane&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=48033&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//www.khq.com/Global/story.asp%3FS%3D4767292&rnd=16305235

http://www.krem.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=59869&catId=87

http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=4767292

I'm all happy this week now that we finally are over all the worries and BS that happened to us and the family.

Now today I'm working outside, I hear a bunch of sirens and fire engines and they stop right in our neighborhood. I walk up front to see smoke pouring out of our rental house which is 1 block north of our house.

They had to break out almost every window in the house, and got the flames out that originated downstairs. Both tenants, mother and daughter were at work, but their dog and cat were dead. Looks as if there is extensive fire and smoke damage, pretty much destroying most or all of their property and the entire interior of the house, almost all of which we just re-did. Doesn't look bad from the front outside, but inside is trashed.

We finally got renters into the house that paid rent, now the place destroys itself. :mad:

DCP06756.JPG

DCP06757.JPG

DCP06759.JPG

DCP06755.JPG

DCP06758.JPG

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Allen, dood I'm sorry to hear that, that sucks...Insurance???

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Well, that sucks, big time. But look on the bright side, it wasn't the house your living in.

Did they determine the cause?

4. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

OMG.... I wish there was something I can do for you, and your family. What's going to happen now??:(

5. mountainexplorer

The place is insured... but theres alot of other things I'm worried about. Such as their stuff, the cause of the fire, how they'll take the loss of their pets, and where they will stay.

Just last fall I did the carpets, pergo wood floor, we painted every wall and ceiling, replaced a few windows (now destroyed as well). I just hate how things that take so much work and time to do can all be ruined in a matter of minutes.

I wished we'd have never gotten that house when our last "friends" were renting it and wouldn't pay rent on time and we had to evict them. The lady and her daughter that were staying in it now were paying rent on time, and there were no problems with the exceptional handyman repair I'd have to do now and then. I just put a brand new smoke detector in the house too, thinking as I did it... theres no chance of fire here. But the smoke detector is of no use when no one is home except the animals.

From what I can tell from outside, the flames originated from the basement bedroom, the one room we did no work to except curtains/blinds. The furnace was new. Everything was inspected and up to code. A majority of the electrical was new, except for that one bedroom downstairs.

I got pictures when most of the smoke cleared. But it's still smokey inside. I better get back up there and see if we can look inside yet.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that Allen. Hopefully you have ins. on the place. Did they figure out what caused it?

7. mountainexplorer

Holy cow... I ought to be getting used to this "holding crying people" thing by now after the last 2 months and everything thats gone on.

The tenants showed up and had to deal with the loss of their dog and all their stuff. The Red Cross came and offered them services, but we think they have a place to stay for now.

As for the house, they are still investigating it and we can't do a walk through until about 4pm with the tenant. By then they should tell us what they think. But from what I can see externally and through the windows, it started in the basement bedroom and burned all the carpet, walls, ceiling and and woodwork. That room was only being used as storage and the tenants hadn't even been in that room for a long time.

I looked in the back door to the kitchen (opposite end and floor of the house) and everything is smoke damaged, water damaged, black and even melted from heat. They saved my one new window I installed.

Our insurance called us. They took one look at it and told us the house pretty much needs to be demolished. So much for all the time I put into it. I was actually amazed... it doesn't look bad at all from outside, but the entire inside is totally garbage now... their stuff and the house.

I guess I get to spend tonight boarding up the windows until we get insurance money and have a new house built. Unfortunately, the tenants had no insurance, so they have lost pretty much everything.

I offered them to come and wait with us here for now, or even stay if need be. But they will move in with her sister for now.

We hate to lose good renters, but we won't have this spot rentable again for a long time.

8. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Wow, big time mess, my heart goes out to your renters and to you for all the work you had in the place. Nice lookin place and neighborhood, I just relized how much I miss the pacific northwest. Hang in there.

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

that sucks allen....

one reason people should have renters insurance on their stuff..

any chance there was a dryer in the basement? our neigbor had that happen, dryer fire when they left the house.. i suppose from overloaded lint or something... thus why i never leave mine running when i leave the house...

10. mountainexplorer

Ok, insurance thinks it's repairable now. At least $15,000 worth of damage they estimate. Here's more pictures.

DCP06760.JPG

DCP06761.JPG

DCP06762.JPG

DCP06766.JPG

DCP06765.JPG

11. mountainexplorer

And more pictures:

These are the mini blinds on the opposite end of the house from where the flames were.

The new pergo floor I put in less than 6 months ago. (as well as new carpet in the bedrooms)

The new smoke detector I put in several months ago. (whats left of it)

It was all newly painted inside.

DCP06764.JPG

DCP06779.JPG

DCP06770.JPG

DCP06767.JPG

DCP06768.JPG

12. mountainexplorer

and more pictures

DCP06769.JPG

DCP06772.JPG

DCP06773.JPG

DCP06774.JPG

DCP06775.JPG

13. mountainexplorer

and the last pictures

DCP06780.JPG

DCP06778.JPG

DCP06776.JPG

DCP06777.JPG

DCP06771.JPG

14. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I can't even imagine trying to console tenants in that situation, much less being the ones who lost everything. Looks like you had a lot of time in a nice little place there. Good luck with everything.

15. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Just saw the rest of the pics.
    [​IMG]
    It's amazing what fire can do.

16. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

That totaly sucks Allen. I hope the insurance Co. does you good. I just am glaad none of the renters got hurt or killed. The loss of their pets and all their stuff does'nt pale in comparison.

17. mountainexplorer

As far as can be told, looks like it was an electrical issue in the wall/floor, as you can view the worst spot where fire burnt through the floor in a bedroom.

There was a hair dryer left plugged in on the floor, but not left on. And there were candle in the room but not lit. Since the carpet was new, it's not likely that the hair dryer could have ignited it to flames (the investigator said). He said he couldn't rule out the candles or hair dryer 100%, but most likely it was electrical based on how it burned most and hottest around the wires in the wall.

18. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My mom used to have a couple of rental houses. She had gradually began getting fed up with the issues they always have (late rent, ****ty upkeap, etc.) and then one of the the houses caught fire in the kitchen. It was determined to be a grease fire and therefor the tenant's fault. After a ****load of legal hagling I dont know if the tenant ever paid up but my mom ended up selling the rental houses and getting out of it completely.

19. rumbly truck

rumbly truck 1/2 ton status

That sucks, been a landlord before, will never do that in my life time again. Always have in your rental agreement that owners aren't responsible for tenents belongings. Then have in the contract that they are to carry renters insurance. But really, if no ones dead, its not that bad. Good luck dude.

20. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Wow, it's really is unreal to see how much damage fire can do. It's also unreal to see what a good guy you are Allen. Most people in this situation would be worried about their own personal loss, but you seemed more concerned with the family that lived there.

This Bud's for you man.

:bow: