Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Out from the shadows!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NMJImmy, Dec 24, 2001.

1. NMJImmy

NMJImmy Registered Member

Just wanted to say hi to all and try to get used to this forum. I've been a voyuer for some time and have gotten a-lot of great info from others. Right now I've got visions of d60's and lockers floating in my head, and will need lots of help to accomplish this, and I know this is the place. Hi once again, and a Merry C-mas to all.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Thanks for stepping forward. I like post like this were people introduce themselfs and not just join and hide.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

3. 81Bogger

81Bogger Registered Member

Welcome-
    I am fairly new here too but I am starting to get an idea of what I need to buy with money I don't have. [​IMG] It doesn't take too long as so many members know so much about this stuff. Anyway, welcome aboard.

<font color=red>81</font color=red><font color=blue>Bogger<font color=blue>
    "<font color=blue>Mud under tire, and Fords in the rear view...<font color=blue>" [​IMG]

4. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I think youll find that this really is a great resource.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Welcome to CK5!
    Well you can buget build. I'm the self proclamied king of Cheap! I have a little over $4k in my whole rig including purchace price. It's 4 inches of lift and locked front and rear. 1 ton running gear is nice to have but for many of us on a buget it's out of reach. The K5 with stock half ton gear can be an amazing rig. I hang with people that have 10 times what I have in my rig fairly well. It just takes planning, patience and creativity. Most of the stuff on my rig I have made myself or just plain waited till the killer deal came up.
    If your conservative on the wheel size and learn to drive it really well you don't need to be on 38's and have that 1 ton gear. 33's and the half ton does quite well. Make the suspension work so you don't have to hammer the trottle to get throug stuff is the key. That's easier than you would think.
    Also the type of wheeling you do factors a lot into what will take it and what won't. I wheel tellico. While that sounds impressive it isn't. We have plenty of loose surface there from mud and dirt so binding the drive line and blowing axles is not as common as places like Moab where your wheeling on rock surfaces that have unbelievable traction. I'm also not a ego freak and I'll take a strap in a heart beat to avoid breakage. I don't hammer on my rig. I'm very carefull to pick a good line or take some aid from a spotter. My truck flexes good so I keep the wheels on the ground so I don't have to slam into stuff to get over it. I can ease over it and that's the key. Slow and easy means that you got a better chance to drive it out without a trail side repair.
    As for repairs. I'm pretty prepared for what ever could come my way. I have spare shafts so should I break something I have the parts to fix it when needed.
    I have as yet had to do a repair on the spot to get the truck out. So far I have been able to drive it home and do the repairs there. The guys that break often are the guys that are on the revlimiter.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

6. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

welcome aboard, and thanks grim, thats what ive been lookin for!

"growin old is not for sissies"
    77k5 400/350/np203/stock for now