Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Out of sight

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 88K5Jimmy, Apr 5, 2001.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Does anybody have any sugestions on how to cover up, strap down, chain up, a sub box to my spare tire. I currently have it strapped up around the spare tire brackets. Should I throw a blanket over it to hide ot what???

2. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

if you dont mind losing a little space just build a box over your box. put your existing box in the back behind the wheel well. push it to the side, then build a box just big enough to hold your existing box. leave the front of the built box open and no one will even know it its there. plus you would have to take the whole thing apart to get to the sub. or mount the sub in your side panel. there are a couple of people that have done that and it looks real nice.

3. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

Build a box around it? Would you port it or anything. I would think that doing this would severely muffel the sound and destroy the sound quality. I don't know, just a guess.

'87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

4. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

it wont muffle it. you leave the front of the box (the part toward the back seat) open. the other sides are walled in and the sub should point forward or atleast somewhat forward. i did this in my blazer. i had already had the big box but bought a sub and wanted to hide it. it actually sounded better in the box i built as well. it seemed to make the bass a little more intense. it seemed to help when the top was off. bass will pretty much travel through the whole car no matter where you put it. it is like when people put subs in their trunks of their cars. i know is sounds goofy but it will work for sure.

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

How did you keep that box down on the floor so it would not move?

6. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

Actually for the best sound the subs should face the rear of the truck, angled up towards the back glass. This is to create a "reverb." It will make it sound much deeper and cleaner. But hey, if what you did works for you than thats great. [​IMG] Just my opinion.

'87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I have a cheap bazooka tube in the back of my blazer,and when I go somewhere kinda ghetto I put a towel over it..It kinda helps because somebody walking by can't make out what it is....

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</A>

8. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Its called Loading. The bass in essence amplifies by reflecting off glass. For mid/high frequencies it actually causes distortion(thats why speakers in dashes SUCK). Try facing the box in different directions and leave it in the one that sounds best to you. TOwards the rear is most common, but its not ALWAYS the best.

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers