Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

out of state lift laws and fender coverage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mostwanted, Sep 21, 2006.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I am curious if anyone has had a hard time with enforcement of lift laws and tire coverage accross state lines. I would assume a privately owned vehicle would only have to be leagal in your home state.

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Nope, but thanks for playing:D

As to whether you can get away with it:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

3. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Interesting question. Being military and each of my vehicles licensed in a different state, I wonder about it. But, not just lift/tire laws; there are also emmissions, window tint, exhaust/tail pipe issues, etc.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Your vechicle only has to meet the requirments for the state it is registered in. If you live in CT (and are completly legal) and drive to NJ (where lift laws are very strict) they cant give you a ticket. Or at least thats the way it had been explained here in the past...

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep I get crap all the time from bored base security guys about my tires sticking out on my crew cab. I talked to one of the security Chiefs and he said they could give me a ticket, but they don't because they don't know the other states laws, and it makes them look stupid when the ticket gets dropped ie. waste of the judges time. Whenever they say something I just say OK, and go on my way. I am also exempt from Cali's smog because both of my rigs are registered in MT:D

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The can ticket you if you don't follow their laws... Because you are bringing it in from out of state... I was pulled over in CA, for speeding and they asked me to roll up my windows... When I did it made my truck illegal in that state, and he wanted to give me a ticket and handed me a razor blade and told me to take the tint off.... I told him my windows were down so it made it legal in that CA so the HP could see me... I got out of it with a speeding ticket, but my tint stayed on when he checked with his sup. and said I had the windows down...

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Honestly, you can only expect law enfoecment to know the laws of their state. I would be hanged from the first tree they could find if I drove my junk to Cali.

John

8. turbofire

turbofire Registered Member

watch the cominwealth states thay can write u for any thing. I drive my k5 and a bagged s10. I live in nc and go to va alot my k5 is ok but the s10 is slammed and thay pull me over alot. No tickets yet but ill run out of luck. The laws you have to follow are your state of reg and thats it. Now any military base can make there own laws and you have to follow them. federal law is over state.

9. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

pullled over 10 times in 1 year in my bagged yota no tickets:D

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Most states differentiate between a person passing through or visiting and someone who is living in the state, even if they are a student or temporary. It also depends on what the problem might be. If your state doesn't have a law against flames shooting out of your exhaust, but another state does, they may take enforcement action as it would be something that would be pretty obvious, and no doubt viewed as dangerous. When it comes to lighting, tint, lift laws, etc., most states will let you slide as long as you are just a temporary visitor.