Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

out of state smog

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willymonster, Apr 1, 2006.

1. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

does anybody know what it takes to get an out of state truck smogged in caly ? i know it can be done just not sure yet how to go about it:confused:

2. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Let me know when you find out. lol and :( at the same time.

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

4. willymonster

thanks 85k5 but that actualy made things worse it pretty much states it cant be done to what i am looking at . ill have to talk to my neighbor tommorow he did it somehow from oregon . maybey the rig he brought from oregon already had smog equipment on it :confused: F:mad: :mad:CKING california smog !!! wish me luck im still gonna try to figure somthing out i got a trick or two up my sleeve if they wanna play it that way

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Here's a big fee/tax scam they shiould rightfully mention in those regs. In California, you don't have to smog test your (new, not just new to you) vehicle for the first 5 years - but you still have to pay a 12 dollar fee for the exemption.

How many cars are there in the state of California that are less than 5 years old? I've no idea, but it has to be tens of millions. Multiply that by twelve dollars, and that's what the state gets, a few hundred million a year, for absolutely nothing.

I bet the car dealers like the 5-year exemption, though, because there's big incentive to buy a new car when you are informed that your now 6-year-old car just failed its first required smog test in a big way, and it'll cost an arm and a leg to make it pass.

Solution? Trade in your perfectly good car and buy a brand new one to start the 5-year smog test exemption rolling again. Or buy a diesel, hybrid, electric etc, and be exempted entirely (but wait until you pay for battery recycling and replacement for all those lead-acid batteries for the allegedly "green" hybrids and electrics).

Then again, you can drive an old enough car that you are also exempt, like a first-gen Blazer...

(edited to correct some shabby, tired arithmetic)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  6. willymonster

ya caly SUCKS the only good thing about it is the housing market . i paid 120,000 for my house its now gonna sell for about 750,000 in a couple of months !!!! pretty much gonna set me up for a while . my old ladys ranger is the only thing we have to smog all my other rigs are pre 74 so thers no smog . :laugh:

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Under that rule what is to keep you from 'selling' your car to your wife after 5 years and just running it in her name for the next 5 years?

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

He said
    "New, Not just new to you"

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

You dont need to do anything special other than make sure whatever smog equipment comes on that truck when it is bought in cali has the same equipment now. ie. if that same truck has a cat/egr/smog pump/ and anything else when its in cali, then your truck that your bringing into the state will have to have the same. I got a truck that came from michigan or something like that and i got lucky because it had all the required equipment. If it didnt then i would have had to install it all.

What truck do you want to take here and where is it coming from?

10. willymonster

its from missouri its an 85 toyota truck . i was wondering if maybe it had some smog stuff on it also . i know cali is not the only state for smog , just one of the tuffer ones . ill have to try to find out what we require here and what this truck might have on it :o

11. willymonster

well little update on the smog thing . i talked to a smog ref today he told me its probably a federal vehicle as long as it has whatever missouri requires and as long as it is CLEAN anuogh to pass caly standards it should be ok . he said if everything is on the vahicle as it was sold new it shouldnt be a problem . now of course a bottle of addative and a new cat might help to but we will see if this all goes thru :o