Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Out of state truck require smog pump??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Oct 30, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Picked up a 1991 V3500 Crew Cab from out of Cali. It doesnt have the smog pump, etc on it.

Do I need to get all that crap and put it on to pass? Or since its an out of state truck, is it bypassed?

Cali smog sucks...

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cali smog sucks...

[/ QUOTE ]

True.

Think any vehicle that comes in to the state to be registered must meet Cali emissions and visuals to match the factory setup.........spent a couple of hundred bucks back in the late 80's getting my first 79 registered/smogged. Not sure nowadays but figure the requirements can only be stricter. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Did it have a smog pump from the factory? My '95 C3500 454 didn't.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Did it ever have a smog pump? They can't make you bring a 49 state truck up to california standards visually. They can make you pass a sniffer and visual inspection on what came on the truck from the factory, but you do not need to retrofit all that stuff to your truck if it never had it in the first place.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

If it only met federal standards from the factory then that's all you have to meet when you register it. My truck is from Washington, has none of the CA smog stuff and it's passed twice now. This last time I'm having a hard time, but only because nobody wants to spend the time to do it, the newer cars are easy money and the older ones are way more difficult since you can't just plug the thing into the computer.

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

u got pm

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Yeah the truck wasnt originally from Cali. So the manifolds dont have smog tubes, no smog pump, etc. I'll have to look a little closer to see what it DOES have...havent had much time to check it out real close, I just noticed it didnt have alot of the smog stuff. I know it has the charcoal canister though.

Thanks for the replies/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif