Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Out with the broken 10blt in with the 14bolt!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Esteban86K5, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

So my 10 bolt gave up on me today. Was driving down the road when a ruckus came from underneath. Took it to the tranny shop and they told me a beaaring went out and threw everything out of place enough to break my ring teeth. So I guess it's time to put that 14bolt in.
    My question to y'all is how hard is it to weld the spring perches and shock mounts on. I've been looking around in the paper and the junkyards and there are a lot of 1 ton 14 bolts out there for cheap. I'll probably have to get it done since I've never welded before and really don't want to make this my first time. Any suggestion?

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

2. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

yea go with the atleast 3/4 stuff good and realible wway more then the old 10 bolts......good luck

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Esteban - get a 14bff out of a 3/4 ton truck, then you will not have to touch the spring perches, they will bolt up just like mine did...the 14s in the 1-ton trucks are too narrow on the perches, so you would have to cut off and weld. I still haven't redone my shock mounts, but before you do those you will need to also raise the top mounts (or get one of those shock braces that someone on here makes), otherwise your shocks will be too long...

Good luck with the 14 (and glad that it wasn't your tranny like you were worried about!!)

Keith

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Another route you could go is a 14SF out of a Suburban and then have the axles filled and drilled to your 6 lug pattern. Also, around 88-9? there were Heavy half ton P/u's with 14SF rears with 6 lug patterns!

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]