Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Outboard boat motors....I GOT A BIG PROBLEM!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wadinator, Apr 27, 2003.

1. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

Hey all,
    I know this isn't 4x4 related, but I'm hoping to find a little help here. Yesterday my boat took a dump on me. While fishing yesterday I started the motor and threw it into forward. There was a pretty loud klunk and suddenly no forward gear anymore! Reverse works fine, but no forward! I pulled the lid off the motor and messed around with the linkages and using a needlenose pliers I was able to pull the linkage enough to get forward to engage, but if I wiggles just slightly it would fall out of gear again.

It's a 1990 150HP Force motor on a 21' fish-n-ski boat. I'll post a pic on my photo page (the link in my sig).

Help?? Anyone? Thanks!

2. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

BTW: I'm guessing that what ever mechanism that engages when the motor is put into gear is worn down. But I don't know if they're some sort of gears or a chain or what, and I don't know how to get at 'em.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

in my out board it was part shaped like an H that broke off a tip i fliped it over to finsh the trip,it broke again as i was loading it up to go.mine was an old one no parts alvaible so i made one out of flat stock, made it till i got a new boat
    hope this helps
    Blake
    p.s. it's in the lower drive unit

4. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

5. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

6. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the links guys! I'll do some digging!

Just so you know though, I don't know the first thing about outboard motors or how to get at the lower drive unit. So I'm starting from scratch here, but I am determined to learn because I'm not going to pay some mechanic $1000 to fix my $3000 boat!

7. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

CORRECTION

Found a web page that gave me three quotes for a rebuilt lower drive unit; price = $1500 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I sure won't be doing that!