Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Outer shafts on a Dana 44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jeff1976, Sep 8, 2002.

1. jeff1976

jeff1976 Registered Member

Other than a junkyard, where can you buy outer shafts for a Dana 44? Also, are outer shafts common between the Dana 44 and the 10 bolt? Are they common on a Ford Dana 44?

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Umm junkyard... junkyard or you can get em from a junkyard. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Prolly your best bet is to find them from a local yard, but I woulda had to pay more for the axles than I did for my whole spare truck. They arent the same as a 10 bolt, D44 axles are 30 spline, and 10 bolts are 28. Im pretty sure that Furd D44s are like 32 spline... so different again. Good Luck.

Mike

3. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Actually, I think some ford outers will work....I am thinking 78-79 ford broncos/f150's. Same thing with waggy's and maybe a few others.
    '
    At one time I went to Warns website (or some axle website) and saw that some part numbers were the same for a lot of different axles. Esp. with the outers.

rob

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I think that 10 bolt and D44 outers are the same. Since they use the same hub, they are the same spline. Same logic goes for D44 Fords too. Also use the same Ujoints (297X) unless you have Peanut Ujoints.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you can buy crome olly shafts from ORD. but i dont think they will warrenty just the outers. you would have to get the whole side, not just one on each side... i dunno...
    grant

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You're thinking of the inners. Yes, the outter stub shaft is the same. Junkyard is the cheapest, but any 4X4 shop will have new ones in both original style or Chro/Mo.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

outer shafts are the same 10 bolt/d44. inners are different, junkyard or sometimes other members have spares. ask around.

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Whooops ... yup, youre all right. I didnt read the question very well. The inners are different, the outers are the same. Unfortunately for me, when I snapped my u-joint, it took out both ends... thats why I had to find a new axle. Couldnt find a short axle for less than 100.00, and no-one had a 12 bolt diff. So I bought the whole truck for 100.00, and got a 3/4 ton chevy pickup, D44 front 14FF rear, and TONS of sellable parts! I am up about 100.00 from my initial investment, and have lots left!

Mike

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

In www.warn.com in their suport library you can pull up a axle shaft PDF. According to that only the GMd44, Corprate 10 bolt front and Waggoneer made from 74-83 run the same outers. No Fords use the same outher. Now you can change out the spindle, hub, brake backing plate and outer stub between just about any D44 if you need to accomidate a wheel lug pattern.
    Now whats funny is the GM D44 right inner is the same as a Ford EB left inner.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Wonder if Dana designed it that way.

11. jeff1976

jeff1976 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I recently broke one of my outers and want a couple of spares.