Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Outlook

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by readymix, Dec 9, 2005.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Dear Microsoft,
    Your "Outlook" program can lick my balls, Thanks to your shoddy software i have lost the last years worth of e-mails.

I would like to think that a back up of the damn PST file would function as advertised....yet you have met my expectations once again.

Perhaps someone here can explain what the hell is going on.
    1. I backed-up my PST's
    2. Formatted
    3. Installed all the crap software
    4. Try to import the back-up PST
    --It tells me it is not a pst file.

MICROSOFT=GAY

2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I really dont like outlook to much. To me it seems very buggy and doesnt like to work right. Every day I get calls about fixing it at work. It is my understanding that Outlook was designed as a business program to be used for short memos. It doesnt seem to like large files which include long messages or pictures.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

are you trying to import them from cd? if so it wont work. right click the file then past it in your my documents folder or someplace that you know where it is. then import it from there

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

The easiest way to not deal with Outlook is to use Mozilla Thunderbird. I've been using it for years now. You can import all your settings, emails etc from Outlook to Thunderbird...so there really is no reason to not use it.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Mudhog....Already tried that

Also thunderbird is being installed as i type this.

MICROSOFT ((STILL)) = TEH GHEY

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

To expand on that, you have to right click the file after you put it on the hard drive, and make sure "read-only" is unchecked. The PST is similar to a db file, and outlook will try to massage it as it opens it. If it's read-only, such as on a cd or copied form a cd, outlook will be unable to access it.
    Also make sure the filename ends in .pst.

Also, you don't necessarily have to import the pst. You can just do File->Open->PST file and open it to access and move all your messages around.

Outlook is actually a pretty good program, and yes intended more for business users than home users. I don't know how accurate it is to say it was originally intended as a short memo program, though, it's pretty robust for something not originally built to be a day/time management program.

I'm not a big fan os M$, but not everything they release is absolute junk. I think since I started supporting Outlook XP and up, 99.9% of the problems I've seen are user-related/caused.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think I just got what you mean. They fixed the downloading "freeze-up" with Outlook 2003's "Cached mode". Before that, it would get fussy with large messages over slow links to your mail server unless you were getting mail directly dumped to .pst.

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Well I got Thunderbird installed and working.

Oh, and Microsoft.....don't feel bad.....I WILL be talking about you more often. You Bastards

9. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

cummon guys, Random MS bashing is so 2003.

I've backed up and imported literally THOUSANDS of .pst's ... as mentioned before, you can't restore from a cd.

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

So have I, and i love to bash MS as they deserve it. along with a list of other things i hate. Maybey i will post the list of things i hate.........

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i love outlook. i think its a great program and have had no borblems with it. i only wish i oculd use it with yahoo mail. it would make life a lot easier.

Grant

12. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I was using my outlook with Yahoo. Just have to setup the POP and SMTP correctly.
    I like THunderbird so far. Very much like outlook without the GAY part