Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

output flange

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Jul 26, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me where to find(besides the dealer) the tool needed to hold the output flange from the t-case. Trying to replace the output flange which connects the t-case to driveshaft ujoints. Need to keep the output flange from turning while taking off retaining nut. Also what is the best puller to use on the flange? 73k5 with np203 tcase
    thanks
    James

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    To remove that big nut, just put the vehicle in gear/park, and or engage the front wheels to the axle.
    This will work if still mounted in vehicle.
    If not still in vehicle, see if you can attach either the front or rear driveshaft, and try to brace it, or put on a vise
    Good luck
    P.S. Miller tool I think makes that flange holder

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Do not turn it against the gears as suggested above. A big pipe wrench works perfect for this. You will not need a puller to get the yoke off.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Turning aginst the gear is not the best but it is done most of the time. An impact works better that anything. And yes a good flange or yoke may need to be helped off with a puller. If fitting a new one to a new output/input shaft you may find that heating the part in the oven at 200 deg. will make it slip right on. Its always a good thought to take your time and find or make a tool to hold something. Try to stop short of hurting the part with the sharp jaws of a pipe wrench or such.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

5. James

James 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys. Was originally going to use pipe wrench. Did not know if that would cause problems.

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    If the gears, and chain can't take about 150lbs./ft. of torque, then something in side the t-case is not right.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I made my own tool from a 6' section of bar stock. cut 8" off end. drilled 2 holes in each part so I could clamp around the yoke. on the flat side. tightened bolts and let the bar rest on the ground. used that to hold yoke. had a very stubborn pinion nut!!

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!