Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Outrageously overpriced

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by achuskies69, Jan 31, 2001.

1. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

Ive taken my 82 K5 to two different body shops and for a paintjob, fixing three small rust spots, and two new rocker panels they priced it at least $4000.00. I dont even have that much invested in my K5!!! Anybody know any good places to get a paint job or anybody willing to take on the job? Im in Northwestern North Carolina...

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hmm that sounds slighty steep but its those rocker panels throwing the price up. OEM pairs can get near a grand, depends where ya get em. If you have the facilities I'd do some of the work yourself. If you haven't had alot of experience with metal work than have them do the rocker panels because its alot of work to do them right. I think a person with average ability could sand, tape, and primer there vehicle. This will help cut down costs because alot of time is in the prep work. I'm not sure about the "professional" way to do rust though. All I do is get the grinder out and take it down (lightly) to clean metal and put a skin of body putty to smooth it over. Putty is not as bad as people say it is, if used in moderation. If its deep rust or a hole than new metal for that section is order. Putty has a place when needed but isn't a solve all. Good Luck Man [​IMG]

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

3. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

well i got connections to get GM OEM parts wholesale and the rocker panels are only gonna cost me $125.00 each, and the guys at both body shops said that they charge $34.00/hr.
    yeah i have had autobody classes and done some work, and im gonna sand it down and try and prep it as much as possible.

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

In that case, it would still be cheaper to drive it down to Miami, send it on a ship to Guatemala (about $600 round trip), I have a friend who did a great job on mine with high-quality Sherwin Williams paint and clearcoat for $1,200 (The whole Blazer including hard top!!) (no, my hardtop doesn't have a clearcoat). Add another $200 for roundtrip gas to the seaport. Enjoy the rest of your money.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]