Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

outside door handle

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Triaged, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The button that you use to open the door just pushed ALL THE WAY IN. You almost can't see it. Needless to say you now have to open the door from the inside. Is there some linkage behind there that just fell out and could be put back or do I have to buy a new one? I haven't taken off the door panel yet...just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Mine got stuck in once so I lubed it from the crack were the window comes up. It is a little box type deal that pushes a pin onto a flat piece. The little box is were the return spring is to make the button pop back out after you push it in(if I rember correctly...) I've never taken it abart..
    Good luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Triaged, I had this happen too. THere's a plate at the back of the handle that holds the button and return spring to the handle housing. It's held in by some peened-down tits. If what happened to mine happened (tits broke off), it's not salvageable unless you want to weld it together and don't care if it looks like hell. I just got another handle off a wrecked truck and now I try to keep a spare or two around in case it happens again.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replys. Maby I will be able to take it off and see in the next week or 2. I have a few new things to take care of after the Safari.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Took me a little longer than I had hoped to would to get to this.

I took the inner door panel off and the pin that sticks out of the door handle button keeps sliding off of that flat plate that it pushes on. The spring that goes over the pin was down in the bottom of the door but is back in place now. It is back together but if I don't push straight on the button it slips off again.

Any sugestions?

6. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

Had that same gripe last year. First the button got stuck "in" then it popped out and missed my eye. Also had a concurrent door latch mechanism failure on the other (driver's) side. A so-called "GM" latch from a mailorder outfit was defective, I got one from a local wrecker for 1/3 the price; still working. I bought a pair of new (repop) door handles and gaskets for $50 from a vendor. I also had problems with the inside lock button relay rods having been deleted by a PO. (No clue why) and a shot return spring on the drivers side inside door handle pivot. It took several tries and much cussing but I finally got the right stuff back together in the right places and now it works like butter. Most annoying detail was getting those little relay rod end lock clips to go on right in the cramped quarters.Good Luck.And remember... if it still seems like it's a hassle --- you're probably not drinking enough beer.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Sounds like I need those "relay rod end lock clips". I don't think I have that. Does anybody have any pics of this stuff and how the assy. is suposed to go together?

8. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

The Clips are a dealer item. (Sometimes they won't even charge for them). Same as used in Carb linkages and tailgate relay rods. Also available in lo-quality chicom knock-offs from Checker auto. (HELP blister packs)I think illustrations can be found in the 67/72 Chevy Factory Assembly Manual.I cheated: I took the door panels off of my '68 C/10 stepside and observed a perfect prototype.