Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oven cleaner--body glue, tar etc.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Jun 28, 2003.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

yea that's right oven cleaner. if this subject hasn't been covered yet. it works. the cab i baught was a 86 scottsdale, it had glued on door trim.i pulled the trim off , but the foam and glue stayed.so i used ovencleaner ,because my friend said it pulled lettering (painted) off of a truck. it worked so i thought i would try it on the glye and it worked. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Just be careful with that stuff! It's caustic and will eat your skin, eyes, etc. My wife got a small drop on her arm last week and didn't realize it until it had burned a hole through the skin on her arm. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. boggerless

i hope your wife is all right. i didn't think to tell anyone about the warnings, but it is on the can. people please look. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

She's taking antibiotics because it started getting infected. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But it's looking lots better now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Another thing to watch out for is using that stuff on aluminum, epecially polished aluminum. Some caustics will really go to town attacking it.

5. boggerless

yea, that stuff will tear up aluminum. my brother in law trashed the rim's on my wifes van. he said they did it at the car wash . /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif any way i said a prayer for you wife to get better. want to hear something funny , my grand ma had a friend who had a radiator leak in her car. so put ready mix cement in it and worked. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Best thing i've seen and used to take that crap off is a deal called an "Eraser Wheel", you can get them at an auto paint store. You chuck it up in at 3000rpm drill motor and it takes that crap right off, WITHOUT harming the paint under it what so ever /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. boggerless

no kidding, i'll have to get that. cool the oven cleaner worked but it did trash the paint that was over the original paint. thats o.k. for me because i'm painting it anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif