Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oven cleaner for rusty frame...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by speedyvision917, Sep 5, 2004.

1. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

freind just told me about it today, said when he was redoin his frame on his 85 chevy p/u he bought about 7 cans of oven cleaner from ocean state and sprayed it on the frame then just either wiped it off or scraped it with a wire brush lightly, then bought some rustoleum spray paint and had his hole frame restored for about 40bucks, its a good cheep trick i thought yall would like to no /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif and wonderin if anyones tried it before /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

never used it on rust....I know it works good to clean greasy parts..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Doesn't do anything for rust but it is a good degreaser.

4. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

yeah, i think a rust reverser would be a good idea prior to rattle canning. Oven cleaner is pretty caustic, and with a wire brush I'd wear gloves,long sleeves and eye protection for sure...

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it acts as a mild paint stripper.. does wonders on grease too...

its our standard for taking painted names off the backs of boats... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

thats what I will be using on my frame...

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Works great for engine cleaner--and I can get it for a buck a can,the "Gunk"brand stuff is at least 2 bucks a can,and it sucks compared to the oven cleaner--I think its just a can of aresol diesel fuel. I'm leaning towards leaving everything greasy,and spraying even more oil on my trucks--when my C10 blew the motor it douched the whole firewall and inner fenders--I'm not removing it(ecxept what rubs off on my clothes! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)in hopes it will keep my frame and sheet metal and brake lines intact another year.I'm going to use an old pump up garden sprayer and sqirt all my vehicles,then look for a dusty dirt road--best undercoating I've seen yet!. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

meriotic acid works too

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i use it for paint all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. boggerless

i never tried it on rust but thought about trying. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. boggerless

on steel? i use it on aluminum rims here and there but never on steel. does it work? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

not sure, gonna try it tho...couldnt hurt /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif then again i said that before receiving a 2nd-3rd degree burn on my leg /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I used muriatic acid on my aluminum wheels once--I put on rubber gloves,and sprayed it on with a spray bottle--by the time I got all 4 rims covered,I noticed the first rim was smoking! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif--I immediately hosed them off with water,but it was too late--they turned a deep blackish blue color,that only sandpaper would remove--I ended up sandblasting them,but I think the acid weakened the metal (might have been magnesium,not sure)because next time I changed a flat tire,the bead breaker on my hand powered tire machine broke a big chunk out of the bead area of the rim.I put my steel rims back on after that--I still dont trust the same type of rims on my C10 pickup very much either,they look good,but they arent very strong,I'd hate to hit a curb with them... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif