Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oven cleaner?????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Mar 21, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I am cleaning the under side of my K5 to repaint. Frame (where visible) axles, etc. There is some grease/oil I have got to remove. I tried some Gunk engine degreaser w/ my pressure washer yesterday. I got quite a bit off but still some there. I have heard that oven cleaner works really well. I didn't know if it would be safe on seals, gaskets, etc. Has anyone tried this stuff?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i love oven cleaner. That said, I wouldnt ever use it on anything but steel. Its nasty stuff and can eat seals/gaskets and it will corrode aluminum too. For bare steel stuff it can't be beat though. I usually spray it on in the morning, let it sit all day while Im at work and then pressure spray it off when I get home. Kicks grease ass.

j

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

like he said.:D

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    It also removes paint really well!!

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

removes lettering..

Body shops use E-Z Off oven cleaner to remove lettering from service vans and the company logo's--they spray it in a can and brush it over only the letters,and let it sit 15 minites or more,and then use a plastic bondo spreader to scrape the paint or decal off--it works good, but it has to stay on just long enough,too long,and both layers of paint down to the bare metal will be removed!--they buff it out with a bonnet and rubbing compound,most ot the time its hardly noticeable where the letters were..

Oven cleaner has lots of Lye in it--its caustic,wear goggles and gloves--especially goggles or a face sheild--I splattered some in my eyes with a wire brush when I cleaned an axle off with it--the only worse pain than that was when I did much the same thing cleaning concrete with muriatic acid and a wure brush--OUCH!!!!---both eat skin too--it works better than Gunk 'Engine Brite" stuff,and its cheaper too,I use the dollar store :generic: version--no need to buy E-Z Off for twice as much or more....:crazy:

6. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Castrol Super Clean stuff in the purple gallon jug works almost as good as oven cleaner and is half the price, about the same price of engine cleaner. It's bio-degradable and will work really well on grease.