Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Over Filled 700 R4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83ChevK5, Nov 17, 2002.

1. 83ChevK5

83ChevK5 Registered Member

I over filled my 700 r4 what should i do?? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. unsane

unsane Guest

I would simply park the rig on an incline and loosen a few of the rear bolt on the tranny pan and Drain it out a little. In a catch can of course.

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

or at idle loosen a cooler line, and let slowly drain untill you get it at the right level

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

For every ~5/8" on the dipstick you're about a quart over full in my experience. Get a piece of hose and unhook the line feeding the fluid cooler. Put the hose on the end of that and the other end into something to contain the fluid. Start the truck. Run over and watch to see how much fluid comes out. Be prepared to run back around and shut off the truck.

It comes out pretty quick, especially if your truck is cold and the fast idle is on.

The previous owner of my truck noticed that it was leaking ATF. Well, they must've thought it was the transmission even though you could see where it was dripping off the transfer case. The transmission was about two quarts over full and the transfer case was about two and a half quarts low. Rocket scientists, I say.

5. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

Pick up a small hand pump at your local auto parts store. They work great for stuff like that.

6. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Here is the easiest way to do it. Go down to your local quick lube and ask them to use their evac-tube to suck the tranny fluid to the right level. it is just a long thin piece of flexible tubing you feed down the dipstick. I have done this many times for people at my lube shop. I am sure every lube shop has one and they will know exactly what you need.