Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Over heating problem

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by cegusman, Apr 7, 2004.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Been having an overheating problem lately. The 6.2 has always run at 190 like it should. 4 weeks ago I went muddin. Hit a very deep hole "up to door handles in water". Coated the radiator with the mud, mud dried and the motor over-heated, caught it at 230, shut it down. Pulled radiator cleaned all the mud out. It now stay at 190 at idle and when driving on the road, like normal. But out on the trail at slowwer speeds it starts to over heat. Hit a mud hole last weekend, was reved close to full trottle for about 30 second and the temp shot for 190 to 260 real quik. Going to pull the t-stat and run it and see if it is the problem. If not I will swap the fan clutch and hope. I have no water in the oil and no water coming out the exhaust, so I don't think it is a head gasket or a cracked head. What else could it be? After I figure it out I am pulling the diesel and swaping in a 350 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif need better wheel speed.

2. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    After I figure it out I am pulling the diesel and swaping in a 350 need better wheel speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    After I figure it out I am pulling the diesel and swaping in a 350 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif need better wheel speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna trade for a Olds 455? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    After I figure it out I am pulling the diesel and swaping in a 350 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif need better wheel speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna trade for a Olds 455? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Would do it but shiping/fright will suck.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

As long as the tires are cleaning themselves you have enough wheel speed. Boggers self clean at a fairly low speed...

I'd say the manual tranny is hurting you more in the mud than your redline is, and don't forget the 6.2 is governed whereas a 350 can be over-revved and damaged.

As for your overheating...I'd guess the T-stat got fried.

rene

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As long as the tires are cleaning themselves you have enough wheel speed. Boggers self clean at a fairly low speed...

I'd say the manual tranny is hurting you more in the mud than your redline is, and don't forget the 6.2 is governed whereas a 350 can be over-revved and damaged.

As for your overheating...I'd guess the T-stat got fried.

rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Will check the t-stat today, but it think it is fine. When the motor warms up, the temp goes up to about 190-195 then drops to 175. So I know the t-stat is opening. But who knows, I will swap it out anyway. Will keep this post updated.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Been having an overheating problem lately. The 6.2 has always run at 190 like it should. 4 weeks ago I went muddin. Hit a very deep hole "up to door handles in water". Coated the radiator with the mud, mud dried and the motor over-heated, caught it at 230, shut it down. Pulled radiator cleaned all the mud out. It now stay at 190 at idle and when driving on the road, like normal. But out on the trail at slowwer speeds it starts to over heat. Hit a mud hole last weekend, was reved close to full trottle for about 30 second and the temp shot for 190 to 260 real quik. Going to pull the t-stat and run it and see if it is the problem. If not I will swap the fan clutch and hope. I have no water in the oil and no water coming out the exhaust, so I don't think it is a head gasket or a cracked head. What else could it be? After I figure it out I am pulling the diesel and swaping in a 350 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif need better wheel speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think you are having problems in mud with the 6.2, wait till you try a gas engine, mud will be your enemy.
    If you like mud stick with the diesel.
    Now for your overheating, do you have a clutch fan, check to make sure it's clean from mud and that it still operates right.
    When it's hot it should be almost solid with the shaft.

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think you are having problems in mud with the 6.2, wait till you try a gas engine, mud will be your enemy.
    If you like mud stick with the diesel.
    Now for your overheating, do you have a clutch fan, check to make sure it's clean from mud and that it still operates right.
    When it's hot it should be almost solid with the shaft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been talking to a few friends and we have think it has to be the fan clutch too. Called the parts store to order one, they say they have 2 a 4bolt one $60 and and an 8 bolt one $170 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif, don't have the truck in front of me not sure which one I have. Was one more common than the other?

9. tRustyK5

Maybe it was AC truck versus non AC truck? You'd think an AC truck would have to pull a little more air...

Rene

10. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

It was the fan clutch.

11. tRustyK5

I'm gonna assume you figured out which one you needed...

Rene

12. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Yep, it was the 4 bolt.