Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Over heating

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, May 31, 2004.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I have a 94 454 3/4 sub. this past weekend i replaced that water pump and know it is OVER HEATING BAD.
    with the help of backyardbuilt i pulled the old on off and replaced it with a new water pump. (not reman) the new one had two opening at the top so i pluged on and put a new hose end on the other one. other then that i did not do an thing. I replace the oil sending unit but I think that had nothing to do with this.

after getting it all installed i drove later and no more then 2 blocks the water temp was up to 240.

these are what i am thinking.
    1 new water pump is no good.
    2 i have to pull the t-stat and add some coolant to the block
    3 it is no realy that hot (i think that it is and #3 is not correct).
    4 ????

Thanks!

brett

2. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

radiator may be plugged and not enough circulation,2)as long as you're pulling the t-stat,might as well replace it,3)try new radiator cap of the correct pressure.try the cheap stuff first,if that ain't it take the pump back and try another.getting a bad one is possible,i guess.i've gotten bad starters and alternators before.after re-reading your post...240* /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifhope you don't do that too much.ya might warp a head!GOOD LUCK!keep us..."posted" /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Try starting your truck after it has been sitting for a long while (cold). Then start it up and watch the temp gage, when it reads over what your tstat is squeeze the coolant hose going from your intake to the radiator and see if it is flowing and or getting hot. This should let you know if the t stat is opening when it is supposed to. I had a similar problem after I rebuilt my engine. I changed the thermostat, sending unit, got a new radiator, new coolant hoses, and guess what it ended up being the gage in the dash!! 3$ worth of freakin part. Oh well now everything else is new /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm not a big block guy but if the late model big blocks are like the small blocks then it sounds like an early water pump and it is not reverse rotation.

5. Martin460

Martin460 Registered Member

Maybe is some air still in system...there i have once same problem.

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

You all are saying what i am thinking. after work i am going to pull the t-stat and fill the top half of the motor with coolant. after that I will run the truck with NO T-stat. that way it will just flow. over heats then I will try and the gauge.

I do not think that gauge or sending unit would just go bad the same time water pump goes bad but...

I am just thinking that there is no water in top half of the motor and it is taking longer for the T-stat to open. and i did just replace the t-stat about 3 weeks ago.

THANKS!

brett