Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

over heating ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by factory redneck, Apr 8, 2006.

1. factory redneck

factory redneck Registered Member

Howdy yall, I`d like to introduce myself, my name is John, I`m from southern New Jersey, I`m 33. I am a chevy man through and through. Right now I have 3. A 1971 short bed 4x4 fully restoured hugger orange (show truck), a 2003 black z71 avalanche(daily driver), and a 1988 k5 blazer W/4 in springs 33x12.5 tires (hunting/4wheeling truck). Now the reason for this post is I am having problems with my 88 getting hot. It has a 350 tbi with a 700r trany. It also has a throttle body spacer. I just installed a 180 thermostat to try and fix the problem with no results.It only gets hot when I run it on the highway. Last night I went about 7 miles at 65 and it was about 225-235, when I poped the hood the passenger side exaust manifold was glowing red...The timing seems to be ok and the anti freeze is toped off. Any help or thoughts would be great.

2. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem a while back. It ended up being my master cylinder was leaking into my booster and that was causing a big vacuum leak. Also just recently I found out my rdiator was rotted on the inside. Both have been fixed. Although it we haven't hit any high temps here lately so I don't know if the problem is 100% fixed yet but so far it does run alot cooler just around on the streets.

But check for vacuum leaks would be my first suggestion.

3. factory redneck

Thanks I`ll check that first. I also wanna have the rad flushed real good, and double check the timing.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How is the truck running? glowing manifolds are usually a timing or lean condition... Considering it was only one bank, maybe your having a prob with the injector on that side... Might wanna pull the plugs on that side to check out how its been burning...

5. factory redneck

truck is running ok. if I drive it around town or let it idle it runs cool, but as soon as I get it on the highway, temp gos right up. truck seems to run a little better when it`s cold..I don`t know I`m not used to tbi`s.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a head gasket problem. What is the coolant level? Does it change?

7. factory redneck

coolant level dosent seem to change and no sweet smell from the exhaust....thanks

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First off, let me explain something to you. On fuel injected vehicles the ECM needs to see a certain temp to allow the engine to go into a closed loop mode, this is done with the coolant temp sensor which is not the same as your coolant gauge sensor. If you run less than the required 195* T-stat that required temp may never happen so the ECM does not go into a closed loop operation. When the ECM does not allow closed loop operation the engine is running on a pre-set fuel and timing map which may be too lean or rich and may be too much timing or not enough timing for the requirements of how the vehicle is being driven. With this being said i would first start by installing the proper 195* T-stat. Once you have the correct T-stat installed then make sure that the cooling system is in perfect operation, IE: radiator is not plugged, hoses are all good, belt is tensioned properly, and the clutch fan is functioning properly. If all this checks out good then start looking at a bad injector. I would probably recommend changing the coolant temp sensor as a precautionary measure since they aren't too expensive and could also be part of your problem.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  9. factory redneck

already changed the coolant temp sensor. and thanks4x4 high for not talking at me like my dad................

10. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

eeeh? you can run a 180 t-stat without any ill effects with the computer, yeah, it may change some settings in the computer, but i personally have been running a 180 t-stat for the past year and the onlt thing i really notice is alittle more fuel useage in the colder temps,,,other than that, it runs alot cooler too.

running a 180 t-stat causing glowing manifolds,,,i don't think so.

12. factory redneck

yeh I don`t know. i put a 195 back in it. it only takes it about 1 mile to get to temp. It only gets hot running on the highway, as soon as you idle it cools right back down.....making me talk to my self...

13. factory redneck

Thanks for all the help (you to 4x4high). Today I found out the problem.Yall are gonna want to kick yourself.......cloged cat?????Thanks

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  14. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That would surely make your exhaust manifold glow. Glad you found the problem.

15. factory redneck

well I thought the cats were my problem. come to find out the when the PO set the timing he never unpluged the ecm wire.The timing was 14 deg retarted. got it running like a scolded ass ape now.....sometimes the easiest solution is the hardest to find...