Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Over the axle trailers?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Fubeca, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I'm seriously considering a trailer and I need a discussion of why or why not to get an over the axle style trailer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "both ganked from www.bigtextrailers.com"

It seems that the over would work pretty well for a built blazer since you don't have to worry about the fenders. Is it just the higher center of gravity that people don't like? (both are 10,000# trailers)

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

High center of gravity and deck height are the two biggest problems with over the axle trailers. Not to mention you will need some really long ramps to load anything other than a lifted truck on the axle over trailer too.

Most people with car haulers make their fenders removable or heavy enough to drive over with wider vehicles. That gives you the best of both.

BIGJ

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

First- Get at least an 18 footer. Much more room.

Second- I have both types of these trailers. I have never had a problem with the Deck-over feeling unstable. Yes it looks like it is, but it tows just as well as the normal style.

Third- The deck-over is much easier to load a fullsize anything. You can be off to one side just a little without worry, whereas, with the normal, you've gots to be dead-on. (hard to do without a spotter) And as a bonus, the taller trailer is great for working on the K5. Brakes/bearings and such.

Fourth- Get longer ramps to load the deck-over. Mine are 7'. They look awful tall with nothing on the trailer, but when the truck is up there they look fine. Plus its much easier than a 5' ramp.

Fifth- One thing I would reccomend on the deck over is an adjustable (up and down) coupler on the trailer. It is one thing I wish I got on mine. For my deck-over to tow level, I have a hitch with a large raise on it. Actually its a dual-purpose pintle/ball with a large pintle adapter in the reciever. The first image is basically what I have except its much taller. The second is the hitch I use.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I think thats it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you have any other questions that I could help with, lemme know. I hope it helps in your decision.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The foot higher deck height is why I didn't go with a deck-over...I've never personally towed one but it sure "looks" like you would lose some stability. The additional wind resistance would probably also be an issue. Plus, all of the deck-overs I priced were significantly more expensive than an equivalent drop deck trailers.

The only nice thing about the deck over is the wider deck, though I solved the drive-over fender issue with about $20 and an hour of work.

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Get a deck over 102 inches wide with a dovetail and you will be happy and never need anything else. The 102 inch width is sweet and the dovetail with flip up ramps will level the trailer so you can haul a load of lumber if you want to. It also allows you to have a nice long loading ramp with very short actual ramps. Here is a pic of mine, notice how low it actually is. As far as center of gravity is concerned I have never had an issue with that, just drive sensibly and it should be good. The best investment is a good coupler system if you don't go with a gooseneck.

[​IMG]