Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

over the top axle truss

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i have a built up rear 10 bolt and i'd like to add a truss to strengthen the housing.
    im thinking about getting an axle truss from M.O.O.
    is a bolt on truss going to be very effective? it looks pretty stout for a bolt on piece. for the price ($250) i could probly get a shop to fab up a weld on truss. how much better would a weld on unit be? a little or alot? i know most bolt on truss's are useless but these look like they might accually do something

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Even though it is overkill, I plan on getting one for my Corp14ff at some point. I had him make me some bolt on shock mounts for the time being as I had cut off my stock ones. He does good work. He will custom make it for you with different shock mounts or an anti-wrap bar too. His stuff looks pretty stout to me.

3. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

You can buy a 14 bolt for 250. I know you have all that money into your 10 bolt and can't afford to drop it and run a 14 bolt. I am in the same boat right now. But if you have the coin to keep building on your 10 bolt can't you save that money and build your beffy 14 bolt?

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am very impressed with the Over the Top axle truss by M.O.O. You don't lose any ground clearence and it is well made. I was going to get one, chrome it, and bolt it to my 14FF but my exhaust tips are in the way.

5. poorboy1

poorboy1 Registered Member

I think a weld on truss would have way more strength, but a bolt on may be enough for what you want, i do think going to a 14 bolt would be a better upgrade. they are relatively cheap for the strength. although i dont have much room to talk cause i am still running a 12 bolt.

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

a 14 bolt is not an option, sure i could spend 250 to get an axle, then i gotta buy new wheels, swap front to 3/4, re gear it or hope to find an axle with 4.56 gears. plus i want a selectable locker because i drive this truck on icy roads in the winter so i dont want a detroit.

my 10 bolt has new premium 4.56 gears, front and rear ARBs,and moser alloy axleshafts. plus im only running 33 inch tires,a 14 bolt just doesnt make sense. basically my only weak point is the housing.

if everyone thinks the bolt on truss will accually add some strength i'll go with that so i have the option of pulling it off if i swap the axle onto my 2wd street truck and make the K5 a 1ton.