Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Over/under/doubler using 203 gearboxes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ddragggon, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I had another one of those stupid thoughts hit me in the brain... what about take 2 203 gearboxes, and mount them tail to tail, then either drop that in front of a divorced 205, or get really creative in the adaptor building... then, amongst the several dozen gearshifts you'll now have sticking out of the floor, you'd have an overdrive unit capable of a .50 reduction, and a doubler capable of a 2:1 ratio, on top of the 205's 2:1.... someone please explain to my why this won't work, before I buy a pair of NP203's, and some stong bar stock, and ask the CNC guys out back to make me a crossover shaft to link the 2 togheter...

does the ford NP203 have say a conveniently fully reversed bolt pattern so that all I'd need to do is sandwitch some metal between the 2, and bolt them together? if thats the case, then it'd go something like:

454/400/chevy203box/reversed divorced 203box/divorced connector shaft/NP205 divorced unit/driveshaft

does this make sense to anyone at all? cause in my warped broken little mind it sure does, and NOW I WANT O DO THIS... or something like that...

-Rich

2. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

We already make an adaptor to mate a Ford NP203 backwards in front of a Ford NP205. You could easily replace that Ford NP205 with another Ford NP203 oriented normally. I would have done that but I was running out of driveshaft length. That was the easy part. Harder was mating the reverse NP203 in front of the TH400, but it's in there and it works, and works good.

You could do this with all married cases to cut down on drivetrain length.

If you're serious, email me at rbryce@exaxt.ca and we'll chat. There's a few gotchas along the way.

--Rob

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

my vehicle of choice is a suburban, so I've got 2 feet of extra driveshaft to play with... :-P

E-mailing you on the matter...

-Rich