Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overall setup question...

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by mikey_d05, Oct 20, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright Z3, since I think you're the only person that is really checks this forum...here ya go :p:

Would one of these (cobra 19):
    [​IMG]

+ one of these (3 or 4 foot firefly with tunable tip):
    [​IMG]

+ one of these
    [​IMG]

In conjunction with these two items: (the fold over is for trailering it)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mounted here: (actually on top of the bed rail)
    [​IMG]

all work well? I know it overkill for a trail rig but hey, I built a K5, not a Jeep :D I like to hardwire stuff and would rather not have a magnetic mount. Really long steel whips are awesome for reception but that flail around quite a bit. Also, if I were to just put it on top of the bed rail could I just use a fold over instead of a spring? I could put it forward when it was on the trailer and it'd kick back wards if it hit something on the trail...just a thought.

Let me know what ya think.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

just loose the foldover. The spring will be needed if you run a fiberglass antenna.
    Whne you load it up onto the trialer just un-screw the antenna and put it on the floor of the blazer

3. mikey_d05

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I recomend This mount. Works great on bed rails if you don't mind drilling a hole. Antenna, Well, that's your choice. For a trail rig, I'd look at the Wilson antennas. For the radio it self, well, for just on the trails, that little Cobra should do the trick. It's not much of a radio, but how much do you really need.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Definately consider the Wilcon antennas - mine is great.

6. mikey_d05

I like the looks of that mount, doesn't have an internal spring does it? I have no problem with drilling holes (if my fenders aren't enough of an indication :D ) It also looks a lot more stable than the other single stud mounts I've been seeing (and less likely to get caught on stuff when the antenna is off as well.

As for the radio, I'm just looking for something compact and easy to use. Yep, it's short on adjustments, but it's small and it'll definitely keep contact between a caravan of vehicles on the highway or a club off road. I might have a line on a pretty good decent used one as well so that's a possibility too.

As for the antenna...any particular reason for brand choice? Honestly wondering, I'm good with electronics but don't know jack about radios. Would something like this be your reccomendation? I just want a good quality short to medium range setup.

Ah yes, and is the mounting point halfway decent? I'm tryin to get it as far away from what's left of my roof as possible...

7. mikey_d05

One more dumb question, what is the small wire that protrudes from the base of the Wilson antennas? :doah:

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Wilson makes very good antennas. Get thier flexible one with the tuneable tip. Best place too mount it would be on your roof, but back by the tail gate on the bed rail should wourk pretty well too. Kind of directional, but not a real big issue.