Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overcamming my engine?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 18, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am looking at my cam card and wondering if my cam in my engine isn't well matched to my setup. I am running stock heads(nto sure which), motor is bored .030 over, have dual 2 1/4" exhaust, and stock quadrajet. THe cam specs are, 204 intake duration and 214 exhaust at .050". Valve lift is .420 intake and .443 exhaust. It is a clevite cam. According to clevites site it is sort of on the edge of needing mods. I have 2.73 gears and 33" tires, think I need a lot more gear.

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

The cam won't cause any problems in itself. You should be fine with valvesprings and valve-to-piston clearance, vacuum, and torque converter. That is actually a very mild cam, so you won't run into any problems. Now those 2.73's on the other hand... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah its a dog in 3rd gear, and vaccum is a little weak at like a 600 idle. I know cause the brakes get real hard.

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I agree. Cam sounds fine. but those gears are gonna need to go!

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I agree with the statements above. That cam sounds about right for your engine's specs. More gear would help out significantly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Just an FYI- Assuming your tires are an actual 33" tall, and in 3rd gear at 65 (according to www.4lo.com), you are turning 1806 RPM. Pretty low RPM for a SBC in my opinion. You could/should be spinning it at 2200-2500 for comfortable cruising.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its an sm465 so its 4th gear and yeah I spin more like 2000 even(they measure more like high 31s. With the 305 I used to actually slow down in 4th gear. Th eload was too much it couldn't maintain speed. At least now the 355 has power to speed up pretty well. Uphill though I still can't maintain speed.

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

If you stay with those tires, put in 3.73 - 4.10's and grin /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    With the 305 I used to actually slow down in 4th gear. Th eload was too much it couldn't maintain speed. At least now the 355 has power to speed up pretty well. Uphill though I still can't maintain speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That must have REALLY sucked. Thats almost enough to make you buy a Bronco /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

What is the lobe separation angle (LSA)? That will make a HUGE difference in the way the cam performs and the amount of vacuume you can aquire.

John

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

112 degrees I guess it is. 112 something. And yes it did really suck. I never used 4th gear till I put my new engine in. I don't plan on keeping the truck so its not a big concern. The thing that bothers me most is I can't start out in "1st" gear. I have to start out in granny.