Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OVERdrive Pulleys

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4x4dreamer, May 20, 2003.

1. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Has anyone thought of using Overdrive pulleys for the alternator on a 6.2? Wouldn't that help it put out more power at lower RPMs, like where we run? Or would it eat the alternator?

2. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

It would help and considering the low rpm limit on the 6.2, it should not hurt a thing. Just don't expect a big increase in amps. I think the alternator on the 6.2 is pretty much "full power" by 2 grand or so anyway.

3. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

since yall were talking about alternators in diesel blazers/burbs i was wondering if yall would have any idea why my alternator would be charging in the low 12's then after a little while it is back up over 13. I am wondering it could be my batteries drawing lots of current. It never did this before, but has begun about a month ago.. i keep an eye on it but am hessitant to replace because it still starts every time.. and seems to charge after a while of driving. PS i don't think the belts are slipping i have checked them.. thanks for the help /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Way back when... OD Pulley

I bought Dye's pulley from him and noticed a slight improvement. The power kicks up just off idle. Most noticable when the batteries are discharged some. What I didn't like is because the pulley so small, I think it's easier for it to slip.

Surge, If you're sure your belt isn't glazed (I've been surprised before /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) You might want to have an altenator shop check your windings. My 200 amp altenator started doing some weird things like taking 5-30 minutes to come up to full voltage /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Turns out I had an internal short. I "may" have caused this by welding on the truck /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I dunno. But I converted back to a smaller (less amp) winding (135 amp IIRC) so that helps the output at lower RPM also. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Does an alternator from a Semi put out more power than a regular automotive alternator? If so, I'd be interested in putting one in my truck.