Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overdrive Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Dec 2, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Why should I not drive in overdrive all the time? What happens when I do drive in overdrive? Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the way i understand it if you are in overdrive in town there is to much stop and go and slower trafic and it is constantly shifting 3rd to 4th, 4th to 3rd and so on and that is hard on it. i have always been told to have it in drive in town and overdrive on the freeway. anyway hope this helps

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

When it constanly hunts fro gears like that, it builds up heat and thats what kills trannys. Also if you have it in OD, at least for me, it shifts into 4th at about 50 mph, and you don't get any acceleration. You really only need OD for 65+. I have 3.42s and 33s

90K5

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Hey 90, How are you with the power you have with the 3.42's and 33's (rpms and all that). Thats what Im in the process of, soon as I get me 4" lift in. Was thinking Im going to need the go down on the gears.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!
    http://"mccordhouse.freeservers.com"

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

When your tranny "gear hunts", the internal components in your transmission work harder and get hotter, like 90K5 said above. In addition, your tranny cools itself by circulating it's own fluid out to the cooler and back.

If you are in overdrive at city speeds, every time you let off the pedal, the tranny will drop to OD, but even a small ammount of load will kick her back down into D. This causes heat buildup. Now add to the equation the fact that in OD your tranny fluid circulates about 30% slower. Not only do you have a higher than normal operating temperature, you also have a less efficient cooling system. Basically, you're slowly frying your transmission.