Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overdrive surging

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Mar 11, 2001.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Problem, 89 K5, TBI 350, 700R. Been running great. Just recently, once truck is in OD and cruising, any throttle demand not sufficient to cause downshift, results in what feels like surging. All else, engine, trans, runs fine. Debating on Trans or looking at TPS, IAC, EGR. FIrst real ECM controlled for me, so it seems from others, what seems like the problem (trans/converter) may be a sensor. I will start reading what codes it is throwing tomorrow, but wondered if anyone else has had problems like this one.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Is the check engine light coming on? Well if you can get a scan tool it makes reading all the sensors much easier... can even do it while you drive [​IMG]

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

TV cable...it may not be set properly. Grab a Chiltons or Haynes and it should tell you how to set it.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Mine did this over a year ago, dumped a quart of Dura Lube in and no more surging.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

5. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I know that this will sound crazy but it did drive me nuts for a month. Check the plug wires for arcing when hot and under load. I chased down tranny and EFI guesses and finally did a tune up one part at a time. I found that the number six wire was defective. It only failed when accelerating with the vehicle hot and in OD. Hope this helps.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Sounds like an engine problem and not a transmission problem to me.

<font color=green>Stupid tourist at Mammoth Cave, Kentucky: "How many miles of unexplored passages are there?"</font color=green>

7. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Mine has done this twice in the last year and both times it was the timing. Check it out.
    89'Sub 350 TBI 190,000 miles.

One From None

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I had a nasty part throttle (cruising) surge with my Q-jet. It turned out to be one bad plug. Amazingly enough, the difference at idle was imperceptible until I put in a good plug and then tested it connected and disconnected.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

9. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I went to Autozone, bought rotor, caps, plugs, EGR, TPS, IAC, O2, coolant sensor and replaced all, and worked on the TV cable. She is running now alright. About 150 total, and 6 hours. I checked the codes, and I was throwin four different ones, so good news is now that all works, but I think the coolant sensor is not working as no temp indicator, so have to return and get another one. I decided to do all of it considering I have know idea what previous owner did to it since 89, and my wife had a 89 Beretta that I screwed around with for about 3 weeks replacing sensors one at a time (was the TPS). I liked the DuraLube fix though Steve, will now always have to try that every time something is wrong. Hopefully I will get my web pape up and running soon, to show off the BigUglyK5.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General