Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overdrive System...?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmup, Feb 14, 2002.

1. jimmup

jimmup Registered Member

Hello,

My new 4.10 gears and limited slips are in. WOW..., what a difference from 3.07s...! Anyway, I have a 350/350 drivetrain combo and am running 33 inch tires. At 60mph I am pushing 3,000rpms. This is not optimal as I use the Jimmy as a daily driver and tow rig for long trips. What is most realistic option to getting an overdrive system for my rig when considering installation and cost...?

Thanks!

2. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

What is most realistic option to getting an overdrive system for my rig when considering installation and cost...?

<hr></blockquote>

Based on just that part, I'd say swapping to bigger tires! Don't laugh, It whould be cheeper then buying an overdrive box, Or swapping in an overdrive tranny. And you'll get the same effect, Because of the larger tire diameter[​IMG]!
    Oh and congrats on the new gears/L-Slips as well[​IMG].

I am the hunter Who live's in the darkness, And grows through your fears...... And you are the hunted.

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't put an add-in overdrive unit just because it will push your transfer case back too far. The other options are putting in a TH700-R4 or 4L60E. Both would be expensive and time-consuming, but lots of people have already done it. Of course, you could also ditch the slush-box and put in an NV4500.

4. jimmup

jimmup Registered Member

What would be invloved if i were to get rid ogf the th350 in favor of the NV4500 manual tranny? Also, my tub is LineX'ed so any interior modifications are going to be a bitch...!

Maybe I should just deal with the fact that i will be running 3,000 RPMs on highway trips...? I don't care about gas money. I just don't want to burn out my running gear. Your thoughts?

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The NV4500 conversion is pretty much like doing a 4-speed conversion (cutting a hole in the doghouse for the shifter, adding a clutch pedal and clutch linkage, putting in a flywheel and clutch, installing the tranny). The only real difference is that you'll need the adapter kit for the tranny so you can mate it to your NP205.

All I can say about the NV4500 is I love mine. It shifts so slick that it's almost like driving a sports car.