Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overdrive tranny....help me decide.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by uao85, Dec 11, 2006.

1. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I am wanting to upgrade the tranny on my m1008 very soon to an overdrive tranny, but cant make up my mind. both will be the same price for everything out the door so it doesnt matter which as far as price is concerned for the most part.(both from same shop). low mileage 4l80e out of a 91 sub will come with harness/computer, everything except the torque converter. Or a low mileage 2wd nv4500, granted I would need to get a divorced transfer case, but I could step up to an np205 with a brownie box sandwiched in between for a double overdrive and a rediculously low underdrive. Opinions, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Remington

I also think it would be great having the latter, I could leave the truck unlocked anywhere I go and be fine with it since it could have close to 5 different shifters.......heck a thief wouldnt know what he was looking at....lol

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well it depends what you want to do with it:
    If it's a daily driver week end warrior, I would go with the 4l80e.
    If you wheel it and mostly do rocks and want the ridiculous low gearing then definitely go with the nv4500 205 brownie box combo.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The NV4500 shifts so easy and smooth I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a DD...

I have 4 shifters in my Jimmy now...3 are unlabelled. :D

Rene

4. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks for the input so far........at this point I am leaning towards the nv4500 combo, although it might take me a while to find a good condition brownie box, I think I will like this combo better anyways. Plus my DD tacoma is already a 5sp, and the auto trannys I have had in the past have given me nothing but problems and still have a bad taste in my mouth.(700r4,4l80e) Hmmm, looks like I will have to get some bucket seats though if I want a whole mess of shifters hanging around, maybe not. I would still like some more input though from those with each tranny.

Regards,
    Remington

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

what the 45oo worth to ya if you dont put it in? :D:D:D:D