Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overdrive transmission

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dammit32, Aug 18, 2002.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

When i aproach hills at 40-50mph the tranny trys to go into the passing gear and the whole truck vibrates...if i step on the gas or let off it goes away...is there a selenoid that makes this do this or some vacuum thing...it just feels like it doesnt completely engage...or is my tranny on its way out

any feedback would be helpful /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Rayven90

Rayven90 Registered Member

Boy it seems like there are a lot of tranny problems lately. My 90 had the vibration(chatter) and I found out that it was that the clutches had worn the friction material off. Of course this led to a rebuild. I felt the exact same thing with my throttle. Under accel or decel I felt nothing. Only when there was no real load.

Ray

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

You're probably in overdrive and the transmission is complaining. The torque converter is probably unlocking and locking constantly and/or dropping to third gear and coming back up. This is what kills the 700R4. Certain death to a 700R4 is some goofball doing that with a 2000lb trailer behind them.

Simple solution: don't use overdrive if you're going to be around hills. In fact, don't even use overdrive unless you plan on going 55mph or faster.

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I had similar probs with my wifes 87. just told her to drive in 3rd unless over 55 on highway.