Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overdrive?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Glenn312, May 24, 2000.

1. Glenn312

Glenn312 Registered Member

Somebody told me that automatic transmission on 1990 Blazers/Jimmys go bad quickly. Does anyone know if this is true (hopefully not). Until then I will try not to use it.

1990 GMC JIMMY SLE w/350

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You shouldn't find any problems with your tranny as long as you drive in D at lower speeds. I normally switch to OD after I hit around 80kph. Another thing to avoid is towing in overdrive. If you just bought your truck, it might be worth it to do a tranny service and check your fluid closely for metal and discoloration. Unforunately, Chev overdrive trannies just aren't as tough overall as some other makers.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you search this site for "700r4" or "700R4" you will come up with LOTS of posts about your tranny (TH700R4 is the official name for it), including ways to get maximum durability and lifespan from it. Enjoy!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

If your k5's lifted and you don't have the proper gear ratio, don't use OD.

5. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

the 700r is basically a good tranny. they haven't worked all of the bugs out of the earlier year modes (like we have, mine is 88). they are known for over-heating. this is why the others are saying drive in..well..drive not o/d. less shifting less heat. if you don't have one,i would suggest getting a tranny cooler. i don't have one yet, but will soon. they are cheap and relativly easy to install. there are a lot of mods for them, too.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Get a tranny cooler and an B&M deep trans pan. By the late 80's most of the bug were worked out of the 700r4. Also check adjustment of the T.V. cable and change fluid at 30,000 mi. I usally change my fluid around every 20-25,000.