Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OVERDRIVE???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Oct 22, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know anything about this Bolt in overdrive? Ive seen a little on it(including on TRUCKS TV) it seems to bee the thing to do if your trans dosent have a overdrive. Also does it actually make a shift? They say its like adding a extra gear to every gear. Ohh yea and does it work in 4wd? on trucks they said its even good for rockcrawling or somthen like that.

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Advance Adapters makes it, the OD only kit is called the ranger I think. Yes its another lever you pull (i think) that splits any gear 75%. say 4th gear is 1:1 and you split it, you now have OD of .75:1 ... say you are in 1st and its 5:1 and you do the Od gear split, then youll be in OD 1st gear at 3.75:1
    Do you catch my drift? They also make it to where its both ways you have OD and underdrive. But these units are expensive almost if not more expensive than a brand new tranny! Of course these would be a bit easier to install than a brand new tranny, but It all depends on what you need and want. Hope I helpd. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif ohh ps, im almost positive it works in 4wd

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The one they used on Trucks TV was the unit from Gear Vendors . It's a VERY stout unit that can stand up to tons of abuse. But they cost around $2,400. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Their kits for 4WD applications bolt onto the rear of the transfer case and can only be used in 2WD.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

These are a few reports on the Advanced Adapters overdrive that mounts between the bellhousing and tranny from a guy on the 6066 GMC Truck email list.
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It whines like a two year old, and you have to double clutch to shift. Sometimes it won't shift without you shifting the trans into neutral. Try 'splitting gears' with a shift to neutral, double clutch the overdrive box,
    shift to the next gear, for every shift. It really sucks wind.

Tinker

[/ QUOTE ]
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    A few days ago someone asked about my Advanced Adaptors overdrive now that I have some miles on it. Well, the high tech lube leaked out so I replaced the paper gaskets with permatex and put in some smelly cheap 90w high suphur choke a horse oil. It drips less, and it shifts slightly better. In the mountains, we needed to spilt gears on some of the steeper hills, so I started to use my right foot to kick it into gear. Worked pretty good. If I had the energy, (and my cardiologist would let me) I would rip it out and send it back. Still whines horribly thru carpet and two pads. Please don't buy one.

Tinker

[/ QUOTE ]