Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

overhaulin' chevy van

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 31, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wonder where the van width 14 bolt full floater is going.... is it sad that that is my thought process when I see something like this?

is it also sad that I'm offended that they had to remove the 1 ton suspension? Would have been way cooler to keep it 1 ton. Especially since the guy made a big deal about it being a rare shorty 1 ton van(quite true imo).

2. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

im just turning it on...but if the guy boasted about the 1ton van thing you figure they would keep it....what are they switching the axels to?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

they swapped the whole suspension for a 1/2 ton donor setup. They said they couldn't fit big wheels and such with 1 ton stuff(aka Foose doesn't make 8 lug wheels and they couldn't go using someone elses wheels).

4. spongeidys

pfft they should of kept the one ton and got adapters ;D

5. spongeidys

and wtf did mtv and tlc mix their shows together or something

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no they just went to West Coast Customs. The shop is real and existed before "Pimp My Ride". They always go to different shops and include different ones.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

overall, i liked the outcome. missed the first 15 minutes of the snow though. i knew something was up when they showed the "30" emblem on the fender at the end of the show. cant say i've ever seen a 1 ton shorty before.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it had a full float 14 bolt, K30 badging, the guy said it was rare because of it, and he used the van for repair stuff helping friends and family. I would have tried a little more utilitarian nature with it, and kept it one ton. but still I too liked the way it turned out.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think they should have made it 4WD. A 1 ton 4WD van would have been very kewl !!!!

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Freaked me out man!!...looked like MINE!!

You guys will laugh,but I watched the show too,and that guys van was nearly identical to my 81 G10 sitting outside.:eek1: .its the same shade of blue,but mine is a "long" wheelbase..so close, I felt like it was ME getting "overhauled"!...mine looked just like his when I got it,rusty roof,faded paint and all!..even his interior was set up in similar fashion..mine lacks the sunroof and porthole windows though..

The same thought went thru my mind when they showed them taking the axles out!..I was like HEY!!--thats the BEST thing ABOUT the van!!--why put crappy 10 bolt and half ton wimpy ones back??--just to use ghetto wheels on it.??:surepal: that was retarted in my opinoin :screwy: .

..ZP3r had the same thoughts as me,make it 4WD,or leave it alone!!..those "Pathfinder" vans they had were really cool,I know a guy who had one for 15 years!..even plowed with it!..

I think the white "donor" van they gutted was in better shape than the one they fixed!..should have used that one instead!..

They made taking the motor and tranny out look like a cakewalk..I took a 250 out of my G10,and put a 307 small block back in..it was NO picnic,and it took me a week of nights just to get them swapped in,never mind the wiring and all the other things that had to be "altered" to make everything functional..I hate it when they make things look so easy..makes those who know nothing about cars think we can fix anything in "30 minutes or less"..

They want "reality" shows,they should show JUST how HARD it REALLY is to do that kind of work!..SHOW us the stripped bolts,the taps broken off in the block,and how torches,NOT wrenches are used in most cases to get rusty stuff apart..SHOW us the bloody knuckles,and mashed fingers,arms,and toes..don't make it look like any pansy can do it!..:surepal: :mad1:

I like how the van turned out though..despite its 1/2 ton "downgrade"...I bet the owner is secretly dissapointed about losing the 8 lug suspension...but it did turn out nice..I think they,like me,underestimated how LONG the body work was going to take!..I took me 3 days to do a halfass paint job on mine,and only took 2 hours to actually spray paint and primer..there is a LOT of surface area on a full sized van!..

I wonder if that WHITE van got a free 1 ton suspension??:thinking: ..

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

they showed the white van later with nothing on it. Did you miss the final prank?

I loved how one guy said "whats nice about vans is you can remove and install the suspension as one piece...".... this guy is a professional? I've done this on my K5 and Sub numerous times, done it on all sort of cars....

12. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

hell you can do it on any leaf sprung vechicle:rolleyes:

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the van lived a hard life over the last 29 years, used as a work beater from what they said. sometimes its wise to retire a vehicle from that kind of duty if you intend on keeping it. that's the way my K20 is going to be, only used occasionally to pull a trailer. most of the time just a nice driver.

replacing the van with the white donor van would be totally against the whole idea of the show. the idea is to take a ride that means something to someone, and give it a makeover. not to say, "oh, this van you've had for 30 years since new is junk. here's a different one that kinda looks like it, enjoy!"

remember, they are professionals. what is hard work for you, is very routine to them. i've personally pulled van engines (we do it all the time for derby vans) in less than 2 hours. last one we did was on a whim... '83 E350 van with a 302 in it. lost spark for some reason, rather than trace it down, we pulled it, and stuffed a 350 Chevy in it. motor mount fab, crossmember modifications and everything included, we fired it up 4 hours after starting to pull the 302.

oh yeah... the rusted and stripped comment... the guy has owned the thing for 30 years, and doesnt intend on getting rid of it. i'd say its a safe bed that any work done to it has been top notch. as for rust, they're in Cali... 'nuff said.:rolleyes:

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

as for removing the suspension as one piece, they're referring to the fact that with 6 or 8 bolts you can remove the entire front crossmember, all 4 control arms, spindles, coils, everything related, and be down to bare frame rails without pulling anything else apart.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no I screwed up, I meant "engine and trans". I guess I was tired when I typed that. They said what is nice about a van is it is easy to remove the engine and trans together. And I've done it numerous times on plenty of things other than vans.

16. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

cool show, that airbrush guy is flipping amazing, he does incredible work for shure
    im with you i have been looking (halfassedly)for a full with 14bff for a while now
    i should call foose me and him are buddys
    i have a hetro man-crush on chip foose

17. diesel4me

I saw the end..

Yes,I did see the last "prank",when Chip brought the withe one to the guys house..but who's to say that van stayed stripped AFTER the show,hmmm??..I think the owner might have volunteered it for a free one ton "upgrade" after the TV portion of the show was filmed..:wink1: ..

It took me quite awhile to pull the motor out of my van because the front grille and sheetmetal had to all be removed,and rust demons made it pure hell to get everything in the way off!..actual removal of motor took maybe a half hour,and I wasn't rushing..it just makes me angry when they "time lapse" it to the point that it looks like its easy,and any boob can do it that fast!..its fantasy....:rolleyes:

And Beater is right,I have stripped many G-10's that way at the boneyard...remove 6 large bolts that hold the engine crossmember to the "rails" of the unibody,and 4 more bolts near the upper control arms on each side,upper shock mounts,brake lines,steering pitman arm and idler arm,and a few other things,and the entire front suspension can be rolled out from under the van,with the engine and tranny still attached if dseiresd,just like wheelbarrow!..I opted to leave mine intact,I had to use the tranny as a reference point so I could make a motor mount on the right side on my V8 conversion..

And yeah,I suppose in CA,rust isn't a problem like it is here..I just cant see putting lots of time and $$$$ into something thats half rotted like mine is getting to be,just to be able to say "its the same one 30 years later"...if its a near mint shell from CA,I guess its worth it..my van is well past its prime again,and after sitting since dec,'03..its not getting any better..:(

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

since when are vans unibody? :confused:

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The G series Chevys are. The new ones are not.

20. diesel4me

A long time!...

From about 1971 up GM vans have no "real" frame rails,they have ones made of thick sheet metal welded to the floor pan,that resemble regular frame rails,but cannot be removed ..not like a pickup or K5 chassis..some G30 1 tons do have a true frame though,usually the "cube" vans.."P" series have a separate frame too....:crazy: