Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overhead DVD in a K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Dec 2, 2006.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Have a '90 K5 I use to tow a camper quite a bit with the family. I would like to install an overhead DVD with the flip down screen to be viewed by children in back seat. I know screwing directly into the fiberglass top is not good and was wondering if anyone had mounted one of these. I was thinking about maybe running sort of a "shelf" across the top and mounting the DVD to that, but I still have to problem of mounting the "shelf". Any ideas?

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Glass it into the top.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mounting it to the top shouldn't be a problem. The tops are double wall so as long as you don't go using too long of a fastener you'll be ok and it won't go through to the outside.

4. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

You could always call a boat shop for advice on how to glass something onto the top.

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I had thought about glassing it in but I don't know how that would look cosmetically. My truck is in pristine condition so I try to keep everything neat and "factory" looking even if it isn't. If I could figure the "shelf" thing out I could cover it with headliner material and the DVD would look pretty stock.

As far as screwing directly into the top. I didn't realize it was "double walled". How thick is it/max length screw I could use?

6. 4X4HIGH

I'm not too sure what the distance is between the walls but easy enough to drill a small hole in the proper location then stick a wire into the hole and see how deeps it goes before hitting the outer wall. :thumb:

7. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

I put one in mine a couple mounths ago. I put it up front and you can see it pretty good from the back.
    [​IMG]

Then i baught a deck that plays dvd and cut out the old stero.
    [​IMG]
    not the best job though.

8. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

How do u stop it from saging the headliner double sided tape ?

and were did u get the headliner or were can i get one?

9. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

That's a good looking setup. I can't mount mine in the front b/c my K5 has a sunroof.

I've always been kinda curious as to the stereos that play DVDs???? Woudn't that be kind of distracting to the driver? Especially in our trucks since the screen would basically be pointing directly to the driver?

10. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

The headliner was already in there when i bought the truck but you can by new headliner from LMC or JC Whitney. My saged some but when I put the screen in it pulled it up some. You dont screw it to the head liner, but the sheet metal on the top off you cab. You have one lay that you can go through before you hit the top lay and you will have a hole all theway through your roof.
    I just drilled throught the first layer.
    There is about and inch to an inch and a half between the two sheet metals so dont be scare to drill into the first sheet.
    Just dont got through the next layer.
    Then i ran the wire behind the plastic molding to the radio.
    It took about 1 - 2 hours to do the screen.
    The radio take time cause you have to cut and you dont want to cut to much, and i had to make a mounting setup for the new radio. That took about 4 hours of work.
    But I like it alot now i can go to the lake with my girlfriend and fish then watch movies.

11. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

WOW thats sounds awsome I now have my new weekend project.

Thanx

12. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

Actullay its not that bad my screen pivots so i can change where it points. I rarley drive when its playing a dvd on when my friends want to watch a movie. It dosent bother me that much( just have to keep reminding my self to watch the road:doah: ) But i manely use it to look for a certain song that i want to hear since it displays the cd info for me( I love MP3 cds)

13. garlicbreath

What about getting one of those setups that has a screen in the back of your headrests?

14. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I would definitely be open to doing that but I'd have to get new seats. Mine don't have headrests. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a K5 with headrests on the front seats. :dunno:

15. garlicbreath

Mine does, but I transplanted leather mazda MX6 seats in it. Best thing i ever did to it.

16. 4X4HIGH

That setup wouldn't work in California as the screen must be behind drivers view so that it can't be seen while driving.