Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

overhead gun rack

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by otisringle, Oct 10, 2006.

1. otisringle

otisringle 1/2 ton status

anyone ever use one in their blazer?

I was also wondering what is above the cloth headliner. Is there sheetmetal or is it just the roof. I dont want to have to drill throught the roof inorder to put one of these gun racks on. Any feed back on this or other ways to put in a gun rack will be helpfull. thanks

2. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My 87 roof is double "lined"? =========== instead of this -----------

Sheetmetal that is.

3. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've been looking to put one in my Blazer, and have pretty much decided to go with one of the floor mount types you can get at Cabela's. I've got a "Rifle It" overhead rack in my S-Duty, and haven't been real impressed with it. Barely enough room on it for my model '94.

4. otisringle

5. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

6. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

One of the places ive considered is jus behind the drivers seat, behind the seat belt retractor thingy. Basically where the ashtrays for rear ppl are. There is enuff room and its outa site for the most part. I have looked at some kits that GALLS says (they deal with police, fire and EMT type gear).

7. otisringle

I thought about using the vertical one behind the seat, but the side walls seem to be made out of cardboard or something. Doesnt seem to sturdy. I liked the overhead one cause its quike and easy accsess for when that buck runs accross the road. all you have to do is reach up there take the gun down and dont have to nessasarly open the door and get out.

8. SilverMiner

SilverMiner Registered Member

I have had that identical model in my '78 Jimmy since 1989, and I couldn't be more pleased. DEFINITELY go for the 2-gun version. I bought the single gun at first before buying the 2-gun, thinking I wouldn't have enough room for the rack and an overhead CB, but there is plenty.

Mounting is very straightforward. Blazers have a very sturdy double wall ceiling, so I have never been worried about heavy guns overhead. I do recall using larger diameter screws than those that came with the rack, though. If you've got a pristine, perfect headliner it's kind of tough to drill that first hole, but it's been a quarter of a century since mine has been that way. I mounted mine as far to the rear as the mounting tabs would allow, and there is plenty of room both front and rear to slide long rifles with large scopes in and out.

Perhaps the best benefit is how difficult the guns are to see from outside the vehicle while mounted in the rack. I once was asked at a Montana game check station where my firearms were, and the Fish & Game guy was suprised after I pointed them out. Although, I suppose if the rig had a large lift, they may be more visible as people have to look up through the side window.

Good choice on a rack.