Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

overhead shelf

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by tx_sub, Aug 2, 2004.

1. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

has anyone installed that shelf that hangs above the windshield? i have seen some in pics of newer subs with the overhead console. does it fit over ours? and anyone who has it do they like it? TIA

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

would be very interested as well. Burbs main flaw as of right now is storage. Sure plenty of room in the back but no little pockets to place my change, cellphone, CDs. They all end of on the bench sliding back and forth.

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I bought one form Summit witht he center overhead console for my 88 about 4 years ago. Comes in real handy. The only down side is things tend to get bounced off when you hit many bumps.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

places like cabelas have ones and they say they have them for all veacals, look good i have thpought about them befor. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Yeah I have one in my Burb.

I like it, took a little getting used to as it hangs down a bit.
    I also had to modify the mounting brackets so that I could push it closer to the windsheild and tuck it up a little higher.

Mine is the old SteelHorse design that is discontinued though.
    As you can see from the image I have a center piece as well that I mounted my power mirror controls in and will mount more light switches and aux gauges too. I can try to get a better shot of it mounted if you want it.

6. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

allow myself to re-explain...myself
    i meant the factory overhead console in the sub. how well do the shelves fit over the console. is it snug or is there just enough room for crap to slide in there and be a pain to get to. (easy fix tho).
    please respond
    and one more thing, what happens to the factory visors? are they replaced. are the replacements nice?
    appreciate it y'all

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

THE visors re-screw into the shelf

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

OK, got you now./forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I have a factory overhead center console too, just not installed. The older Burbs could get an overhead console, not as nice as the newer ones but it was the same as the old Astro overhead console.
    With the brackets my shelf kit came with there was enough room for stuff to fit in there no prob and I could still get my hand between the two to pull stuff out, I just couldn't use the center piece that came with my shelf.

The factory visors do screw back into the shelf but I had to bend the crap out of the mounting arms in order to get them to sit flush again after being reinstalled. They sit up there nice and tight now, but if I have to drop them I loose way to much windsheild to safely drive.

As far as shelves for newer Burbs, I have seen some designed to work around the console. I think they may be two pieces that mount on either side of the center console and give you two seperate shelves then.