Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

overheating 454 help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by seanschevy, Jul 18, 2003.

1. seanschevy

seanschevy Registered Member

ok i have a new 454 in my truck and i am running a flexfan and stock shroud. also on the front of the raditior behind the grill i am running an electric fan. but it is still overheating. when stopped it cools down and runs great. but when driving it it keeps going up over time. I also have removed the thermostat(recommeded by local raditor shop). the shop also said that my 4 core rad. looked fine and itshould cool my moter. So now what. the only thing else i can think of is maybe i need to put new gears in my axles because i am running 44s with 3.21 gears. But when driving it seems to do fine power wise. but uphills i have to give it some more gas and then the temp goes up alittle more. hope u guys can help thanks. Oh yea some one said maybe my carb is to lean would that do this. thanks again

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When you get it figured out let me know. I have been fighting mine each summer for almost 2 years now.

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Take a look at this thread and for some pointers. I would also recommend changing those gears to AT LEAST 4.56 or more. It will help your tranny stay cooler also, which may be contributing to your overheating prob. if you have a tranny cooler mounted next to your rad. And please fill out your profile so to tell what is on your truck. It will help people help you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. seanschevy

well after reading that i am going to get a new rad. cap tommorow and i am thinging about to removing the electric fan. maybe that blocking air flow to the rad when driving. but at idle under no stress electric fan cools no promblem. maybe i dont need it. it worth a shot. tell ya haw it all comes out.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Damn, 3:21 gears and 44's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    How bout the water pump? Is it the stock water pump or do you have a performance water pump?
    How bout your pulleys? Do you have underdrive pulleys or different sized pulleys than stock?
    I have the same problem but opposite as you, when i'm driving it stays cool but when if i get in stop and go traffic for a few minutes my temp keeps going up...
    I need to build a shroud around my two electric fans on my radiator... My problem is not enough cooling at idle which points at airflow through the radiator cause if i get going it cools off. Yours is while driving which seems like its not getting enough flow while running like putting back in the thermostat and a High Flow water pump might do it....
    I'm just going by what i've heard a lot of people tell me.
    Good luck man!

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Converters coming off mine tomorrow to see if it's plugged. Had to drive home with the A/C off today.

Get your gears fixed.

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

put a t-stat in there too...i took my t-stat out and it would overheat...This is b/c the water can't stay in the rad long enough to cool off...you need some resisteance in the system to slow the water down through the rad...

8. seanschevy

ok after taking a look closer i noticed that my trans cooler which is aftermarket from the person i bought my truck off of was pretty much covering half of the rad in front of it. I removed it temperaly and did some driving (not much but it seems to be staying at 180. I am going to test drive some more tommorrow. Either way with the trans cooler in front of rad couldnt help so i am going to relocated somewhere else and put a electric fan on it as well. I figure the cooler the trans the better. wish me luck

oh yea the gears arnt that bad i can still spin the tires and it takes off preety good. cant wait to put new one in tho it will be great.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    ok after taking a look closer i noticed that my trans cooler which is aftermarket from the person i bought my truck off of was pretty much covering half of the rad in front of it. I removed it temperaly and did some driving (not much but it seems to be staying at 180. I am going to test drive some more tommorrow. Either way with the trans cooler in front of rad couldnt help so i am going to relocated somewhere else and put a electric fan on it as well. I figure the cooler the trans the better. wish me luck

oh yea the gears arnt that bad i can still spin the tires and it takes off preety good. cant wait to put new one in tho it will be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should be able to handle to cooler. Factory it dumps the heat into the coolant with the cooler that's in the radiator. Now it dumps the heat into the air AND it's running cooler so you should not have a problem.

Getting ready to go pull the cat on mine and see how it does. Mine will overheat with the A/C on. If the hood is up it does ok. That's telling me to much heat under the hood. I figure if the cat's my problem if being fixed will drop under hood temps by a good 50degrees and solve my issues.

10. simplysigns

simplysigns Registered Member

454 Overheating Problem

OK I have check all the threads on overheating and I am going nutts!! So bare with me.

Here is what I have....
    Engine....1972 Chevy 454 (came out of a 2wd 3/4 ton truck). Has been rebuilt but nothing crazy. 30 over, Mild cam, heads back to stock, After market aluminum intake, Holly 670 avenger carb, Headers. This engine is 98% new. I have put every hour on it (I installed a hour gauge).

Cooling system.... After market High flow water pump, 3 core Aluminum radiator, 160 degree T-stat, Dual 15" electric fans with a shroud.

Now here is what goes on. Going down the road I have no problems. Gauge stays around 160-180 degrees. It only gets hot on trails and at idle (after 10 or 15 minutes). If I get back on the road. It cools back down. So this tells me it is air flow. Right?

Here is what I have done. Went through 2 T-stats (1 180 degree & 1 160 degree, both do the same). Went through 2 Radiator caps (both good, same). All new hoses (no kinks). Coolent is flowing fine. And there is nothing blocking the grill in front. Everthing is clean. The fans are pulling air through the radiator like crazy. But not enough! WHY????

I did read a post about the timing may be off. Causes overheating. Is this something I should look into? It runs great. I have a small hesitation if I hammer it from stop position. But after that, it runs like a bat out of hell.

Any input is always welcome. So please feel free. At this point I am up for anything!!