Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overheating and timing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cojnit, Aug 7, 2002.

1. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

My '76 k20 is great in traffic, around town and most everyday driving. My problem is that when I am tring to get out of the LA area, this requires me to accend steep grades. This seems to be a problem for the 'ol girl as she begins to overheat. I have checked the cooling system and everything appears to work. It doesn't heat up quickly, but cools very quickly. Its just on those grades like the sepulveda pass and the grapevine it gets real, real warm and I have to pull over for a few.

Does Timing play a possible part in this? I know that my timing is off, but otherwise it seems to run okay.

What about thermostat? can I change the operating temperature for a different one in hopes that this can help?

Any other Ideas would greatly be appreciated. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Going over Sepulveda Pass shouldn't do much to it. Sometimes the grapevine can warm things up a bit.

Yes, if timing is retarded things can heat up.

Do the usual...flush radiator, time it correctly. I wouldn't mess with changing temp specs on thermostat. You shouldn't be overheating with standard one.

I have a 76 K5. Mine started heating up a bit on the way to Big Bear a couple weeks ago. I topped off fluid and that helped, then on the way back, heard a weird rattling... turned out the fan clutch was going.

Otherwise I have no problems on the kind of grades you're talking about.

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

S L O W timing heat things up. The mixture is still burning as it leaves the combustion chamber and will make for a hot running, gutless wonder. Check your fan clutch (if you have one) by wiggling the blade forward and back. Check the water pump. They have a weep hole that will leak when the pump goes bad. Take the radiator and have it professionally flushed out.

180 T-Stat is always good in warm climates, but a cooler thermostat won't solve your problem. Like trying to turn your house furnace up to 85, when say it can't even make 75. Yeah, it has a higher setting, but its still not going to make it there.

4. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

that would make sense because the 350 does seem a little bogged down. but when I adjust the timing, I get valve knock under load. I have had the radiator flushed recently (2-3 months) think I should do it again with the acid wash? The Valve knock gets better with higher Octane, but am I just covering a problem by doing that?