Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

overheating cherokee

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by shane74, Jun 28, 2002.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine has an older jeep cherokee. I think it is a '90 or thereabouts. It is still the smaller square looking body w/ an inline 6 cyl? Anyway, the thing is constantly overheating. We have replaced the t-stat (twice), replaced the coolant fill/overflow bottle, and a few other swicthes and sensors. We finally took the t-stat out, and that fixed it...for now. Anybody have any ideas?? Thanks!

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

do a flush on the system... I mean the whole flush.. not the el-quickie 10 min. flush... the rad. might be a little clogged and not allowing the water to flow threw correctly.. also is the waterpump ok... any leaks from it at all...

Taking the t-stat out might solve the problem for right now... but without it the water never gets a chance to cool down before going back into the engine.. so after extended trips you will be running hot again...

check to make sure the t-stat is the right now... temp wise that is...

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I don't know if he did that or not. I thought he did. I know he had it into the shop once. I'm not sure if it was for this problem or not. WOW! I don't know much of anything do I?? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Thanks for the tips, I'll pass them on. Hopefully it is something simple like needing a really good radiator flush!

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

does it overheat at highway speeds or just slow speeds? if it's a low speed problem, depending on what type of fan it has, make sure the electric fan is working or check the clutch fan hub, sometimes they fail and just float all the time, they won't pull air in no matter how hot it gets, either fan problem will cause overheating.

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

It's been a few years since the Cherokee work... But let give it a try... If I remember right it only has a electric fan on them but it can be intermiten..... I would start looking at the radiator.... 10 or so years old and water/ antifreeze flowing through the radiator..... also I cann't remember but it may also have a plastic radiator tank on it if so it's called a throw away rad......My memory isn't that same as it use to be.....