Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overheating Engine!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Saxwonder84, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Saxwonder84

Saxwonder84 1/2 ton status

My 82 Blazer has a bit of a prob. When I'm not moving too quick the engine temp. sky rockets. I'm curious if anybody knows of a good way to solve this. I've looked at some fans and maybe an engine oil cooler, but would appreciate any other tips. Thanks.

Jacob Byrd

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like a fan problem.

Do you have a fan shroud?
    Thermastatic(sp) fan clutch?

If you don't have a shroud, getting one would help. If you have the fan clutch maybe it's not working correctly.

Course there's always the easy question, fluid level okay?

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Do the easy stuff first. Change thermostat, flush the sytem and fill with correct ratio of coolant/water. Your truck shouldn't over heat while just sitting there if everything is working properly. I had a similiar problem, I changed everything from the hoses to the radiator. Turned out my gage was jacked!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    My 82 Blazer has a bit of a prob. When I'm not moving too quick the engine temp. sky rockets. I'm curious if anybody knows of a good way to solve this. I've looked at some fans and maybe an engine oil cooler, but would appreciate any other tips. Thanks.

Jacob Byrd

[/ QUOTE ] On a few of the rotrods, I've installed a electric fan infront of the raditor on a on/off switch. They've really helped with over heating at stop lights. Just flip ther switch on when ya see the temp going up, and flip it off when you get moving.

5. Saxwonder84

what is a fan clutch??

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I say the fan clutch is leaking. Pop the hood and try spinning the fan, if it turns nice and easy and almost freewheels and you may or may not see that the clutch looks oily then it is probably bad. If it has a nice stiff resistance and it looks clean than it probably is something else.

7. Saxwonder84

The fan has quite a bit of resistance any other opnions. Also where is the fan clutch at so I can look at it?

8. mrk5

It's a friction clutch. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

The clutch is bolted to the pump and the fan is bolted to the clutch.

When the temperature gets warmer it "locks-up" and the fan spins with the engine. At a relatively cooler temp, the fan is allowed to kinda spin freely and it lessens the load on the engine.

9. Saxwonder84

Thanks for that, but everthing seems to be in working order for that what else can I do to keep that temp down. I've looked at oil coolers any opinions on that?

10. mrk5

While an oil cooler is a good thing to have, it wouldn't solve your problem. When you say sky rocketting, how high is it getting? As Stallion85 mentioned, is your gage good?

I've read other posts where some members saw a drop in coolant temp from installing a tranny cooler.

11. Saxwonder84

getting around 260 when I'm crawling around. I think the gague is good but that is something I can check.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    getting around 260 when I'm crawling around. I think the gague is good but that is something I can check.

[/ QUOTE ] Have you had your coolent system flushed ?? Maybe a bigger raditor. I don't know, but maybe a electric fan instead of a mechanical one. Just a few thoughts. Have you replaced the thermostast ??

13. mrk5

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif That is high!

I'd try some of the above items: flush, thermostat, and maybe something up with the water pump.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The rep from Spal told me that an electric fan installed in front of the radiator is at least 20% less efficient than one installed behind the radiator. Of course for auxilary cooling anything is better than nothing.

I am a firm believer that a mechanical fan is far better at cooling than 99% of electrical setups although both will and can work for this application.

I run mechanical fans on all of my rigs and I'm one day going to add an electric for some additional cooling on my tow rig at least. Both of my trucks that do run will sit and idle all day long and never overheat. Same goes for having 10,000 lbs behind my tow rig--it never overheats or even gets hot.

I would check first to ensure your gauge is good. If you are indeed getting that hot, check your radiator. If it's questionable, have it boiled out or replace it. Radiators are about $150 and I just put a new one in my trail rig last year. Well worth it IMO for a lifetime radiator.

Check your water pump. Make sure it is not leaking or questionable. Water pumps for these rigs are insanely cheap and easy to change even if you've never done it before.

Of course check your hoses as well, they're probably questionable and its time to replace them if they are.

Of course someone already mentioned the thermostat. You can remove it and if your engine doesn't overheat you can pretty much bet it was the thermostat. They often stick and cause you serious issues.

I have never experienced overheating issues since I keep up with my cooling system pretty well. It gets pretty hot here, too, although not nearly as hot as other places in this country. Look on the bright side--the entire cooling system of this vehicle can be replaced for less than $300.

It shouldn't take much to get it to stop getting hot though unless it has some other factor that causes it to get hot all the time. These trucks have VERY good cooling from the factory if you ask me. I believe my tow rig has a 3 core, and I know my trail machine does, and I have never really had any real problems, and both get thrashed on a regular basis.

Do some poking around and let us all know what you find. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Saxwonder84

thanks for all the replies, but most things check out. Another problem I noticed when I was digging around in it was that my radiator is too hight. I have a 3 in body lift and it seems that my fan shroud is sitting too high. Anybody had a problem with this before. Thanks.

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks for all the replies, but most things check out. Another problem I noticed when I was digging around in it was that my radiator is too hight. I have a 3 in body lift and it seems that my fan shroud is sitting too high. Anybody had a problem with this before. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, in short its a b!tch do deal with. I have a 3" body and have my shroud cut up on the bottom. It's a pain with the A/C because I can't let the pump run at idle because there isn't enough air coming across the condensor. I am going to put dual electric fans behind the grille for extra pulling power, an 8" over my tranny cooler and a 10" on the driver side in front of the condensor along with leaving the mechanical fan in. You might be able to get away with less since it's a stock 350. My motor likes to get warm.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You better get yourself another alternator to run all those fans. Four fans is quite a load (I'd say thats probably 60 amps at least).

18. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It hasn't been mentioned yet, and it might sound silly, but did you try swapping in a new rad cap yet? An easy 50% of the cooling problems I've had could be traced to either a faulty rad cap or a sticky thermostat.