Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

overheating, no power steering, and dead battery??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KGsK5, Feb 23, 2007.

1. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

a friend of mine was driving his 89 1500 (350 TBI) home from a game tonight and after about 5 minutes of driving he said that his voltage guage dropped, his temp guage went HOT and he lost power steering.

he pulled into a gas station and popped the hood and said that coolant was leaking from the radiator resevior.

he called me and i got to his truck after about 15 minutes and had him start it up so we could move it. the temp was a little bit cooler and it started right up. so i had him drive it 2 minutes to another place where it wouldnt get towed and we left it. he still had no power steering and it was starting to overheat again.

i did not have a chance to look at everyhting because i was in a hurry. but im going back tomrow with him to see if we can get it going. any ideas? this all seems very random to me...

thanks

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

threw the serpentine belt.... should have been a quick obvious thing.

throw that you lose alternator, waterpump, and power steering. If its not that then he snapped the crank off at the first main so the pulley is still there just not spinning...

3. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

well that does make sense... damn its been a long night. guess i should have actually looked at it a bit instead of being in such a hurry. thanks.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

agreed 100%

i had this happen to me, ended up the alternator bracket broke and the alt tipped letting the belt fall off. had to do some reroughting with the belt so it would still spin all the accesaries and not fall off. i was 10 miles from the nearest city at 7am on my way to work with no cell. i also lost power brakes (hydroboost).

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Definately lost the serp belt in one way or another. Late last year i lost my PS and then it started to get hot and when i pulled over to check it out i found my water pump pulley broke in half and was laying sideways on the water pump shaft. This thing did not make one noise when it broke. I bought a new pulley from the dealer for $18.00 and i was back and running. BTW, the new pulley was a revised pulley, go figure.

6. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

yah lost the belt drive somehow. the coolant coming out of the resevoir is probably due to the overheat.