Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overheating problems in 454 Suburbans?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Mar 27, 2002.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever hear of any prevalent overheating problems with the 80-91 454 powered 2WD Suburbans? My brother is "this close" to buying a real nice 89 Burb with the 454, but one of his neighbors said that they had overheating problems?? I told him I had never heard of that, but figured someone on here could give me the real scoop! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif And if they did have this problem, what is the most common fix? New radiator, auxiliary fans, etc??

Thanks for any help! It should be a sweet tow rig! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I can just see it now, cruising in the Burb with Dual A/C blasting all the way to Moab! he,he /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

2. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I haven't heard of any problems with ones that came from the factory with the BBC.The problem comes when people swap the BBC in place of a SBC and don't upgrade the radiator.They try to run the stock 3 core and have problems.You need to have a good 4 core in front.I had a 454 in a sub.At first I had the 3 core in and had problems,swaped in a 4 core and it solved the problem.Brady

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks! I had never heard of any problems with them, but wanted to make sure. I can see why the guys hwo didn't upgrade the radiators would have problems! That's not an item you want to cheap out on!! I am 99% sure that he is going to buy this thing tonight, should be fun...wonder how long it will take me to convince him to convert it to 4x4?? he,he /forums/images/icons/smile.gif